Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer Will Not Recognize My DVD Burner?

(!)

Member with 105 posts.

Experience: Experienced Computer Tech
27-Jun-2008, 08:16 AM #1
Solved: Computer Will Not Recognize My DVD Burner?
Hello. I am really stumped right now. I have a computer that I have been trying to burn dvd's in, and i keep receiving errors, no matter what program I use. It is only showing that I have two cd-rom drives. I thought maybe the drive was bad, so I put a new dvd-burner in, and it still won't recognize the drive, it still shows as a cd-rom? I can burn cd's just fine. I am running Windows XP Home. Let me know if there is anything else that you need, and I will let you know. I need help as soon as possible... THANK YOU!
Member with 11,761 posts.

27-Jun-2008, 08:20 AM #2
got all you updates for Windows?

27-Jun-2008, 08:23 AM #3
Does it play any DVDs?
Member with 105 posts.

27-Jun-2008, 08:55 AM #4
I have All Windows Updates (including SP3)? It will Play DVD's too, but does not recognize any burnable DVD's. When I try to use Nero 7, you can choose if you want to burn a cd/dvd and it will not let me change it to DVD?

27-Jun-2008, 09:04 AM #5
Try using different make of DVDs

Are you sure you bought a DVD writer drive?

IIf you have Nero there is a Info Tool you can use to scan and it will tell you what you have for drives on your PC

If you cannot find it you can go here
http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero...utilities.html
Member with 105 posts.

27-Jun-2008, 09:20 AM #6
Yup, I am positive that it is a dvd-burner. I have tried several brands of dvd's and none work. At this point I am convinced that it is the computer, and not the drive, since I have tried two different dvd-burners. I am trying to copy a dvd right now and see if i get anywhere, I will update when I am finished. I don't understand why in "my computer" it calls both drives cd-rom(s) when one is a burner, and the other is a cd-rom? Could there be a setting that I am missing? Oh, I have also tried a Windows XP repair install.... Thanks...
Member with 105 posts.

27-Jun-2008, 09:21 AM #7
Thanks Megabite I think I am going to try that and see if it will tell me that I have a burner....

27-Jun-2008, 09:23 AM #8
Put the DVD burner on only and put it on as Master
Member with 105 posts.

27-Jun-2008, 09:50 AM #9
I am going to remove the cd-rom drive and see what happens. I WAS able to successfully copy the dvd, but it still won't burn normally?
Member with 105 posts.

27-Jun-2008, 10:13 AM #10
I removed the cd-rom drive and it DOES recognize the drive as a DVD-RW now!? I am still unable to burn pictures and data to dvd? Wow am I stumped as to what is wrong now?
Member with 105 posts.

27-Jun-2008, 10:44 AM #11
One of my posts, did not post. It should be before my last two posts. I WAS able to copy a dvd successfully. But i still cannot burn data or pictures to a dvd? that is why I am so stumped. I am going to restart again and try a different program. I will update when I am done. I want to Thank everyone for their help so far, it is greatly appreciated.!

27-Jun-2008, 11:33 AM #12
Uninstall all burning software you have and restart then reinstall the burning software you want to use. But just the one burning software for now.
Member with 105 posts.

28-Jun-2008, 09:10 AM #13
I uninstalled the burning software, and reinstalled it. Still Won't Burn! I don't know what to do with this stupid thing!
Member with 105 posts.

28-Jun-2008, 01:41 PM #14
Okay, I am marking this thread, solved. This is why: I called and talked to Microsoft's technical support for Microsoft Digital Imaging Suite 2006 and they told me that I could not burn to cd/dvd because the registry files are corrupt and cannot be repaired. The only way to be able to burn to a cd/dvd is if I format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system, otherwise I will have to burn from a different program. That is Microsoft for you....aarrgghh. Anyway, I really appreciate all of you help Megabite, Thanks A Lot!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
burner, not recognized

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!