Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Sound card issues

(!)

Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jul-2008, 04:40 PM #1
Exclamation Sound card issues
A while back I added an Nvidia sound card to my computer for my new surround sound system, after a LOT of playing around I finally got my computer to accept my new sound card and play audio over my new speakers. The sound card my computer came with was just a backup from then on. My new surround card, as far as I could tell, wouldn't let me use headphones or a mic without disconnecting anything but I managed to get a mic to run through my old sound card and play over my new speakers. I have no idea how I did it but it was old sound card with mic and new with speakers. I recently started playing around with fruity loops and this meant I had to configure ASIO, so I did, but I also switched to a different mic and headphone port on my computer.. for convenience reasons. well after I got everything running my mic worked and played over my headset.. but no audio from the speakers. now I can't get anything to play over the speakers and I've been trying to figure this out for a while. I want my speakers working #1. and #2 I want to use my mic over the speakers like before. help?
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

22-Jul-2008, 05:05 PM #2
Did you disable the old sound card before using the new one?

Look in the Sounds applet in Control Panel and see what hardware is designated for each.
Member with 34 posts.

22-Jul-2008, 05:28 PM #3
well my old sound driver is also my video driver so I'd rather not mess with it. My sound cards are my default C Media wave device and my newer Nvidia Nforce audio.. thing. if I have that backwards sorry but the way I had it working before was with C media as my mic input and Nvidia as my sound output. now when I set nvidia as my sound output it still comes out of my headphone slot. also it's probably important that I have that ASIO thing now
Computer Specs

22-Jul-2008, 05:37 PM #4
Surely sound and graphics have separate drivers. What is the make/model of machine?

Often the onboard audio can be disabled in BIOS for add-on cards to be used.
Member with 34 posts.

22-Jul-2008, 08:58 PM #5
well system restore fixed it... ah well I suppose that doesn't explain the problem or how to fix it but I have things working well enough now
Computer Specs

24-Jul-2008, 10:20 AM #6
If you're happy, we're happy

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
asio, microphone, nvidia, sound card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!