Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to Connect Sony VAIO Laptop to Computer

(!)

Member with 69 posts.

24-Jul-2008, 02:11 PM #1
How to Connect Sony VAIO Laptop to Computer
Hi,

I have an older Sony VAIO laptop that I want to connect to my TV. There are no S-Video cable outlet. I have USB ports, S400 port, a port for headphones, a microphone port, and a yellow circular port that I don't know. My laptop also has a 15 pin port for a monitor. I did buy a Y cord, which I hope will work if I plug it into the headphone port for the audio, but I don't know have to connect the video from my laptop to the TV. If someone could help me I would appreciate it. Thanks!
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,226 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jul-2008, 03:21 PM #2
Is the "yellow circular port" on the laptop an RCA phono jack or some other type of connector? If you are not sure, please give the exact model number of the laptop?

Is your TV a standard definition TV or an HD TV? What kind of video inputs does it have?
Member with 69 posts.

24-Jul-2008, 04:50 PM #3
I am not sure what type of port it is. The model number of the sony vaio is PCG-9RFL. My TV is an HDTV with component video port, hdmi port, and the standard red white and yellow imputs.
Member with 69 posts.

24-Jul-2008, 04:53 PM #4
By the way, the Y-cord should be fine for audio right?
Member with 69 posts.

25-Jul-2008, 08:28 PM #5
Can someone please help me?
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

25-Jul-2008, 09:00 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BShaikh10 View Post
I am not sure what type of port it is. The model number of the sony vaio is PCG-9RFL. My TV is an HDTV with component video port, hdmi port, and the standard red white and yellow imputs.
Let me guess, the "yellow circular port" on the computer does not look like the yellow input connector on the TV ???

I could not find any kind of on-line user manual or documentation for a Sony Vaio PCG-9RFL model computer. That makes it a bit difficult for me to figure out what kind of yellow connector is on your computer or if the computer even supprts any kind of HD video format.
Member with 69 posts.

27-Jul-2008, 05:10 PM #7
i found the manual.

here's a link:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...?DIRECTOR=DOCS

type in "pcg-k23" into the search box and manual should be there.

it says i need an a/v cord with the yellow red and white plugs and then the other end has a single plug. Do you know where I can get that?
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2008, 10:30 PM #8
Quote:
The model number of the sony vaio is PCG-9RFL
Quote:
Am I safe to assume that the manual is for two different models?

Quote:

it says i need an a/v cord with the yellow red and white plugs and then the other end has a single plug. Do you know where I can get that?
I found an E-Bay India page that at least has a picture of the needed cable. Not sure if a computer store by you would carry it.
Community Moderator with 19,166 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
29-Jul-2008, 07:07 AM #9
If you're satisfied with an analogue image on your TV (which would not make full use of its HD quality) get a VGA to HDMI adaptor. You may have to adapt from VGA to a DVI-HDMI cable. That adaptor goes into the 15 pin VGA socket on you laptop. Connect the DVI end of the cable to the VGA adaptor of your laptop and the HDMI end into the TV.
Audio will not be supported so you need an RCA cable with a minijack (3,5mm I presume) shoved into your laptop headphone output and the other end (RCA jacks L/R , black or white and RED) into that audio input of your TV that corresponds with the HDMI input (meaning it's on the same AV or external input setting of your TV). It's better than nothing, unless you've just had $ 6 Mio eyes implanted.
Community Moderator with 19,166 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
29-Jul-2008, 07:11 AM #10
the "yellow circular" on your laptop looks like a digital output but how to mate that with HDMi I don't know. Don't think yr laptop supoports HD standard so settle for analogue. It's not so bad.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!