Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: WMP shuts down immediately after starting up

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 105 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jul-2008, 06:20 PM #1
Solved: WMP shuts down immediately after starting up
Anyone run into this? My Windows Media Player 11 shuts down as soon as I open it, giving me the usual Windows message "Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close...".

So far it only does it when I try to open a library audio book which uses some sort of DRM or license or when my MP3 player is attached (which also has audio books on it). This was working fine a couple weeks ago. The only changes on my computer is I just downloaded an update to Avast AV and I'm using MS PowerToys SyncToy to sync My Documents. I tried a System Restore, to no avail.

I'm not familiar with the technical details. It lists assorted "modules":
wmplayer.exe
ntdll.dll
kernel32.dll
ADVAPI.dll
RPCRT4.dll
Secur32.dll
USER32.dll
GDI32.dll
IMM32.dll
LVPrcInj.dll
uxtheme.dll
msvcrt.dll
wmp.dll
ole32.dll
COMCTL32.dll
SHLWAPI.dll
OLEAUT32.dll

Event viewer lists this: "Faulting application wmplayer.exe, version 11.0.5721.5145, faulting module indiv01.key, version 11.0.6000.6324, fault address 0x000ffe96."

I'm running XP Pro on an HP xw8000 workstation, dual processor 3.0G. Thanks for any advice.
Computer Specs
Member with 105 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Aug-2008, 09:52 AM #2
It looks like this is a combination of WMP11 and my library audio book download service. I restored my drive with a ghost image from before this probem occured, and it still wouldn't work. It works on WMP10. I'm guessing the library changed something on their DRM.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!