Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer freezes when I burn a DVD

(!)

Member with 31 posts.

30-Jul-2008, 05:17 PM #1
Computer freezes when I burn a DVD
When I setup NERO to burn a DVD, the computer freezes a few minutes in.

I was running fine, burning with no problems for a couple years, then about two weeks ago it started. I couldn't figure it out, so I decided to format my hard drive and start over from fresh from factory settings.

I reinstalled everything, and it's still doing it.

Please help
(I just got a DVD player installed in my car, and now can't burn DVDs, very frustrating)
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
30-Jul-2008, 05:44 PM #2
Look in your Task Manager. Is something using a lot of CPU? Burners often run at high priority. If something else is making demands on the CPU, it can lock up easily.
Senior Member with 720 posts.

Experience: A+ and a little more
30-Jul-2008, 06:15 PM #3
Also update the firmware for your DVD writer , though I'd be more inclined to borrow/buy a different DVD drive if there's nothing untoward in Task Manager/ CPU usage .
Member with 31 posts.

30-Jul-2008, 06:15 PM #4
Thanks for the reply Elvandil,
I've even tried closing every program and I have nothing else running, and it still freezes.
I don't mean NERO freezes, I mean the whole PC freezes, and I have to do a hard shutdown.
Member with 31 posts.

30-Jul-2008, 06:17 PM #5
Hey nessy...
How do you update the firmware on my DVD writer?
I've thought about buying an external drive and trying it...
Member with 31 posts.

30-Jul-2008, 06:30 PM #6
Hey guys,
I just closed everything running, and opened NERO and tried burning a DVD with the Task Manager open, and my CPU usage went from 2%-5% up to 100% when NERO started, with NERO causing it all. I then closed everything again, and opened up dvdSanta, another DVD burning program, which before never gave me any problems, and it did the same thing, from nothing up to 100%.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2008, 06:38 PM #7
Is there a new burning program installed? It may be a driver conflict between programs. Which is new?

30-Jul-2008, 06:55 PM #8
If the drive was preinstalled on a PC (i.e. the system was assembled and you bought it as such) then you would go to the computer manufacturer's website and check their support pages for driver downloads . If you bought and installed the drive yourself you would go to the drive manufacturer's website and look for firmware updates in their support section .

Preinstalled machines need OEM software e.g. a Dell PC will need Dell updated drivers even if your DVD drive is Samsung/Sony or whoever . Custom builds and end user enhancements generally require the hardware manufacturer's software . They are not really interchangeable .

I do think the external (or a new internal) writer is worth a try - I'd suspect your current drive has failed .
Member with 31 posts.

30-Jul-2008, 06:58 PM #9
Neither is new, I had them both running together for years with no problems...I think I was affected when I downloaded some dumb registry fix program that scanned for problems, found some, and "fixed" them. It actually just made my computer slower and messed up my iTunes. But like I said, I restored back to factory settings, and reinstalled all my programs I use, which I had been using for years with no problems.
Member with 31 posts.

30-Jul-2008, 07:02 PM #10
Hey nessy, thanks, I'll try that tonight (it was installed by the factory, I bought the PC new with the DVD writer installed already)

Well the thing is, I can still burn cds, and I even burned a data dvd, and a short music video dvd to try in my car. It's like it only messes up when it's a long burn, but then again, the dvd data disk (4 gigs of MP3s to play in my car) and that took a little while. So it's like it only messes up when I try to burn a long movie file. (I have tried several movies, all freeze)
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2008, 07:09 PM #11
No drivers are needed or should be installed for DVD drives. The OS supports them natively and none will be available unless it is a SATA. Is the drive listed as one that is supported by both programs?

What about other programs that load drivers for that drive, like UltraIso, DVDInfo Pro, Daemon Tools, etc. All those drivers load whether the program is used or not.

Did you try Nero before anything else was installed?

30-Jul-2008, 07:14 PM #12
OK , starting to look like a codec issue as you can burn CDs and more tellingly ( is that a word ?) data DVDs . Download and instal K-Lite's Codec Pack and see if that makes a difference http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm . You can pretty much go with the default settings for the instal though I generally deselect installing WMP Classic - only a preference , not a tech issue .

30-Jul-2008, 07:38 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
No drivers are needed or should be installed for DVD drives. The OS supports them natively and none will be available unless it is a SATA. Is the drive listed as one that is supported by both programs?

What about other programs that load drivers for that drive, like UltraIso, DVDInfo Pro, Daemon Tools, etc. All those drivers load whether the program is used or not.

Did you try Nero before anything else was installed?
Elvandil , my reference to OEM drivers was a general statement and given that the OP has reinstalled XP it's a good port of call in any case . I wasnt suggesting the OP needed a driver for their DVD drive but a firmware update would most likely be found in the Support/Drivers and Downloads section of any manufacturer's site .
Member with 31 posts.

01-Aug-2008, 05:10 PM #14
Good thinkin' with the codec files nes...
I just installed them, and, same thing, it started, 20min. in my computer froze.

Elv, I have Daemon Tools, works fine, I don't really know what you mean about it though.

BTW sorry it took me awhile to get back to yall, I had family in town yesterday, and actually I'm leaving for a trip to Orlando in about an hour for the weekend, so I won't get back till Sunday.

Thanks guys
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Aug-2008, 07:49 PM #15
It has to be the drive. They just don't last that long so I would replace it.
I mean we don't know any of the hardware or even the OS here so as for age of components well again 2 years for a heavily used dvd-rw, unless it is a real quality brand is enough to kill one.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!