Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Burnt Music CD only works on computer but not on home stereo system

(!)

Senior Member with 138 posts.

29-Sep-2008, 04:50 PM #1
Burnt Music CD only works on computer but not on home stereo system
Hi, I have burnt a cd from my downloaded music but I couldnt have it play in my car or on my home stereo system. It only plays onmy computer. Anyone knows why? How to know what file format will work in the car. My car is Toyota 1999.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,200 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Sep-2008, 05:27 PM #2
Did you create an Audio CD or a Data CD with audio (MP3, WMA, M4A, etc) files on it?

If you still have the factory original sound system in your 1999 car, I am 99% sure that it will only play Audio CDs. It may not work with Audio CDs burned onto CD-RW discs and may not work with some CD-R discs as well.

How old is the CD player on your home stereo?

29-Sep-2008, 11:04 PM #3
My home stereo system says it plays mp3 on it. I bought a bundle of disks that says dvd-r on it. I still have the original copies of the music cd. When you insert it in the computer cd drive it offers to save it to the music library. Then I just copied that from the library to the blank cd drive. That was what I did. But how to copy the music under an audio format that will play in an old car stereo ?
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,200 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Sep-2008, 11:57 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat View Post
I bought a bundle of disks that says dvd-r on it.
Other than having the same physical dimensions, a DVD-R disc is very different from a CD-R disc. Do the specifications for your home stereo system specifically say it can read MP3 files from a DVD-R disc or just from a CD or CD-R disc?

You will need to try burning an audio CD using a CD-R disc and then see if it will work in you car stereo. You may need to experiment with CD-Rs from different manufacturers to find one that play back reliably in you car.

What software are you using to add audio CDs to your library and what software are you using to burn the CDs?

01-Oct-2008, 11:32 AM #5
Hi, My home stereo says that it reads wma and mp3. My car stereo i am not sure. I will buy some cd-r to test. Thank you for you help.
Senior Member with 224 posts.

Experience: Apparently not enough
02-Oct-2008, 12:46 PM #6
Sometimes car CD players just won't play home burned CD's no matter what you do.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!