Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CD drive wont recognise blank cds

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Nov-2008, 01:35 AM #1
Unhappy CD drive wont recognise blank cds
my CD drive won't recognise my blank cd's, as it always used to
and its also playing up when i insert other discs
for example [I'm assuming the top drive is DVD drive (E: ) , and the one underneath that is DVD RW drive (F: )]
when i insert a burnt audio cd into drive F:, it doesn't get recognised. i'll click on DVD drive (F: ) and it'll ask me to "please insert a disc into drive F:". same thing happens when i use a normal audio cd (an album)
if i insert either of those into drive E: they play normally in Windows Media Player.
when i insert a DVD-R disc with data on it, into drive F:, it asks me to drag the files that i want to put on the disc (when it already has files, and i have checked this on another computer). when i put the DVD-R disc with data in drive E:, it goes unrecognised.
finally when i insert a DVD movie into drive F:, it goes unrecognised, but makes a weird noise while in the drive.. however it plays normally in drive E:, so i have no problems with DVD movies

my main problem has been with blank CDs
they totally go unrecognised, in both drives. windows media player does not recognise either.
i am using the same brand + type of blank CD i have always used with this computer (that have always worked), and they are definately blank.

i tried uninstalling my drives thru control panel/device manager/DVD CD rom drives - uninstall, and allowing windows to update when i restart the computer. that did not work.
im not a very bright person when it comes to computers, but i try to fiddle around a bit with settings to see if its a small error, but i just cant get past this problem
please help!
thanks

my drives are HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H31N
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDRH10N
if that helps...

Last edited by kate89; 20-Nov-2008 at 01:41 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blank, burner, cd drive, dvd, recognise

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!