Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Flash Player Ads Slowing Up My Web Pages

(!)

Member with 1,197 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Dec-2008, 03:49 PM #1
Solved: Flash Player Ads Slowing Up My Web Pages
Is there a way that I can turn off Flash Player ads in web pages, BUT at the same time, keep Flash Player enabled for sites that I go to for games that use Flash. I turned off Graphics Acceleration, but that doesn't seem to help much. The worst slow down is on my homepage with Yahoo's one banner ad on the right-hand side. Getting rid of the banner ad in Firefox with AdBlock plus doesn't seem to speed things up. But what is strange is that the problem only seems to appear on Yahoo and is contingent on the type of ad that is showing. All I really want to be able to do is to turn off the banner ads for Flash animation to speed up the page loadings, while still being able to play my games and go to sites that use Flash content. Any ideas that I can do without having to install additional software? I ONLY want the banner-ads to either not be there or not show the animation causing the page slow down. I want to be able to play all Flash content games.

Jack

PS.I run both IE 7 and Firefox 3 on Windows XP SP-3 with the same results. Also just turned the Flash Graphics Accelerator back on just to see how much of a difference it makes. Should add that this doesn't happen all the time, only from time to time. I also use Avast Anti-Virus Home Edition 4.8. Sometimes I get momentary fade outs when right-clicking on the Avast Ball in the System Tray, The result update to Avast 4.8 has solved a lot of issues with Avast's performance and stability. How much of this may be contingent on Flash Player?

Last edited by Jack1000; 15-Dec-2008 at 04:03 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 698 posts.

16-Dec-2008, 01:22 AM #2
You should install the NoScript extension for firefox. It blocks javascript, and flash, and then you can choose, which of the scripts, sites, flash, that you want to authorise. Things will be under your control. Try it.
Member with 1,197 posts.

16-Dec-2008, 03:21 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriAnupam View Post
You should install the NoScript extension for firefox. It blocks javascript, and flash, and then you can choose, which of the scripts, sites, flash, that you want to authorize. Things will be under your control. Try it.
Thanks! Installed and things are much improved. Setting up the filters takes a little getting used to. Itr blocks all Flash by default but you can just click on the icon on the right-hand side, select options, and allow what you want. The only bug is that it will often put the script message about what was blocked on the top even if you check put the message on the bottom.

Jack
Computer Specs
Member with 698 posts.

16-Dec-2008, 03:36 PM #4
I am glad it served your purpose. Yes, it does requires getting used to it, and when u do... its a great extension.. you cant do without it, and it also prevents malicious javascripts from loading too.

If ur purpose is solved, please mark the thread as solved by clicking the button on the upper left on top of this page.
Member with 1,197 posts.

16-Dec-2008, 04:12 PM #5
Update:

Will have to temporarily uninstall as it seems to be interfering with some "good' content. However, will keep this plug-in in mind for the future. It needs the ability to distinguish between recognizing good Flash, such as games and Videos and leave that on as the default and have the banner ads off off as the default.

Jack
Computer Specs
Member with 698 posts.

17-Dec-2008, 02:14 AM #6
It depends on ur selection. Means what things u authorise to run, and what u do not. If you have doubt about something, you can click on temporarily enable... and then when you are sure about it, you can enable it permanently, so next time it dosent get block. Similarly, for the things u dont want to allow. It will require sometime to get used to.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!