Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

dell media direct issues are bad

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

08-Jan-2009, 12:31 PM #1
Exclamation dell media direct issues are bad
Ok. I got my inspiron 1525 dell laptop with windows vista home basic. I got it on christmas, so that about 3 weeks ago.

When I first started up the computer it was fine, I downloaded my music from my other computer and my pictures. I then downloaded mozzila firefox and picasa.

everything still worked, widows media player for music. and media direct for dvds and such. EVERYTHING WORKED GREAT.
then things began to stop working, dell media direct wouldn't start at all, and widows media player basically ate my ram

after a week and a half with my brand-new laptop. it crashed, and yes I had virus protection software.

I wiped my computer and a friend had to start me over with the discs they send you for this and plus.

I downloaded my music, deleted a lot too, didn't download my endless files of pictures. Downloaded mozilla, avast virus software thingy and winamp media player(I'm never touching windows media player again, it already ate my computer once).

but NOW, it's four days later and dell media direct won't start. I have version 3. and I just watched a movie with it YESTERDAY.

I don't want to start over again, I don't have time, I leave home in 2 days, and I need this computer. I will be 260 miles away from anyone who can help me for free. I'm a college student who has no money whatsoever and a desperate need for this computer to work. I don't have a seperate hard drive to store my things on again and wipe and start over.

I have no Idea what's going on and I need help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Feb-2009, 11:26 PM #2
Post Dell Laptop Problems
Hello,
I'm also a novice user and got a Dell Inspiron 1501 that has been terribly slow for over a year. I just took it to someone who said that Dell packages entry level laptops with barely enough memory (RAM) to run Vista properly. Replacing the RAM is simple and in my case it will only cost about $30 to get more RAM. I am ordering it today. I'll let you know if that does the trick. There is a good website that matches up your computer with what memory you need - crucial.com. Good Luck. Hope that helps. JB
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Feb-2009, 12:49 AM #3
Computer Specs

07-Feb-2009, 03:01 PM #4
Smile Slow Computer
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/BECKLE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]Hello,
I'm a novice computer user and had replied to another novice that I was told more RAM might help, and then i received a message from you to post a Hijack This Log. I'd never heard of such a thing and wasn't even sure if you meant the person I was replying to should post the log or if I should. Those were my 1st impressions when I opened up your e-mail in the middle of the night while trying to write a paper for school. I also wasn't sure the HiJackThis thing was safe, so I later looked up reviews, which basically said it was a good tool for advanced users, which I'm clearly not. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you until now - I've been trying to catch up in school.
Anyway, I really appreciate your willingness to help and have decided it's probably safe to post a hijack log, so I've copied the logfile below. Thanks again!
J.B.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:15:25 PM, on 2/7/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\System32\smss.exe
C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe
C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wininit.exe
C:\Windows\system32\services.exe
C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Windows\system32\lsm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Windows\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\Windows\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Windows\System32\WLTRAY.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FirewallGUI.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe
C:\Windows\sttray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter3\brccMCtl.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcmon.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
C:\Windows\system32\RacAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: Freecorder Toolbar - {1392b8d2-5c05-419f-a8f6-b9f15a596612} - C:\Program Files\Freecorder\tbFree.dll
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Freecorder Toolbar - {1392b8d2-5c05-419f-a8f6-b9f15a596612} - C:\Program Files\Freecorder\tbFree.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: CBrowserHelperObject Object - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Freecorder Toolbar - {1392b8d2-5c05-419f-a8f6-b9f15a596612} - C:\Program Files\Freecorder\tbFree.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\Windows\system32\WLTRAY.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00PCTFW] "C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FirewallGUI.exe" -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPort11reminder] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\Ereg\Ereg.exe" -r "C:\ProgramData\ScanSoft\PaperPort\11\Config\Ereg\Ereg.ini
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BrMfcWnd] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter3] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter3\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCommunicationsManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechQuickCamRibbon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe" /hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: QuickSet.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B205A35E-1FC4-4CE3-818B-899DBBB3388C} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Search Bar\ENCSBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LVCOMSer - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: LVSrvLauncher - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\SrvLnch\SrvLnch.exe
O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Firewall Plus (PCToolsFirewallPlus) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: ThreatFire - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\ThreatFire\TFService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 10204 bytes
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Feb-2009, 02:14 AM #5
Such replies are always to the thread starter, so as not to confuse the flow of information.
Computer Specs

08-Feb-2009, 04:58 AM #6
Thanks!
Thanks for letting me know!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
desperate, media direct, running issues

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!