Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DVD/VCR Combo (Magnavox), VHS no picture, only sound

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jan-2009, 03:59 PM #1
DVD/VCR Combo (Magnavox), VHS no picture, only sound
Now that I've finally got the correct cables to hook this up (I think - all the colors match now anyway), I'm having another problem. When I play a tape, I hear the sound but no picture (it only shows the player's default screen). When I was trying to use composite cables to hook this up (the TV doesn't appear to have a composite input), I would get a grainy black & white picture.

The DVD part works fine. I only bought this thing for the VCR though, since you don't seem to be able to buy just a VCR anymore, and I have a million VHS tapes my kids want to watch!

I also bought an s-video cable, but the TV does not seem to have an s-video input either! It's a Samsung LCD brand new, but the manual is lost. I think it's 32" & it has the red bezel so it's the higher resolution.

Anyway, if the DVD works but the VCR doesn't, might the unit be defective? I can still return it.
Senior Member with 1,879 posts.

Experience: gettin there
12-Jan-2009, 05:45 PM #2
Had exactly same problem when setting up one for my mother. Never did get the component cables to work correctly(and was double sure all was plugged in correctly) reverted to AV (red, yellow, white) and it did all as it should. Do you have AV cables and capabilities? might be worth a shot.
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jan-2009, 06:17 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppy03 View Post
Had exactly same problem when setting up one for my mother. Never did get the component cables to work correctly(and was double sure all was plugged in correctly) reverted to AV (red, yellow, white) and it did all as it should. Do you have AV cables and capabilities? might be worth a shot.
Yes, those were what I was trying to use at first, but the TV doesn't have the inputs for that (no yellow). Someone in the other thread I had about this suggested I might be able to get a converter, maybe that would work.
Senior Member with 1,879 posts.

Experience: gettin there
12-Jan-2009, 08:16 PM #4
does it have "s video'? maybe that combined with the red and white audio.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,009 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Jan-2009, 10:11 PM #5
Did you try the inputs on the side of the TV? It looks like the Samsung LCD's have the Yellow-Red-White RCA jacks (Composite) on the side underneath the s-video input.

If you can find the model number of the set you can download the user manual from the Samsung website.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!