Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Trouble copying music to harddrive from cassetts

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Apr-2009, 06:25 PM #1
Question Trouble copying music to harddrive from cassetts
In Windows XP you could open speaker controls and enable the "Line in" feature. My computer is a Dell XPS 420 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I am using a cable from my stereo sound system to the "Line in" jack on the back of my computer but get nothing, no sound. I have plugged a Microphone into the Mike jack on the front of the computer and again get no sound. How do I enable the recording capabilities of this computer?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,152 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Apr-2009, 08:12 AM #2
Make sure your sound card driver is configured correctly and surround sound is disabled (assuming you have a non-surround sound card). Also check the full volume options in case the Line in jack is muted or turned down.

If you're using audacity, try clicking on the arrow next to the microphone at the top, and clicking on "Start Monitoring".
Computer Specs

11-Apr-2009, 07:15 PM #3
When I right click on the speakers on the task bar two items show up, #1 is speakers, #2 is "Digital Output Device [SPDIF] High Defination Audio Device". On a Dell tech help site some guys are saying that Dell has locked this feature out on some computers. This computer is just over a year old and it will really irritate me if I have to change out the sound card for a {Soundblaster} card. I did this two or three computers ago. Oh well.
Computer Specs

11-Apr-2009, 07:20 PM #4
I forgot to add this. After I click on the Speakers and the two Items come up I right click on speakers and a "Test" feature comes up. When I click on that the right speaker plays a sound then the left speaker plays a sound. When I right click on the Icon for the [SPDIF] and the test feature comes up I click on it and on the little vertical bar to the right of the icon shows a sound wave going up and down but NO sound comes out of the speakers.
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 01:59 AM #5
You still haven't told me which software you're using to record.
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 04:28 PM #6
Sorry about that. "Roxio Easy Media Creator Premier 9.1.573". I opened the software and went to the "Audio" section "Convert your LPS and Tapes to digital Format" section. Could not find any sound card listed where their should be one. Went back and checked my cable again and could not find any problems there.
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 05:26 PM #7
Try audacity.

The moment you play something, the red bar next to the microphone should start bouncing up and down. Click record and you're off.

I hope it's a software problem
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 08:01 PM #8
I am not familiar with "Audacity". But thanks for your assistance. tomorrow I will be contacting Dell again. Cds and DVDS play on this computer, that tells me the hardware is using the sound card. This is really a frustrating problem. I'v had a computer since the early 90s. First one had Windows 3.1. Wev'e came a long way. First years of the 70s I was running a computer in the Navy in San Diego. I'll let you know how this turns out. Thanks. Tom.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,390 posts.

12-Apr-2009, 08:16 PM #9
Audacity is very popular here at TSG .. It's freeware and worth a try.
Many of us can help with it.
You should not have a problem recording from Line In ... It can also edit your recording.
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 08:50 PM #10
Ok. I downloaded and ran the Audacity software. Read the help file to learn the buttons. Bad thing is no "Line in" by the button or anything else there. I am beginning to have a bad feeling there is a hardware problem with this computer. When I look at the sound card in device manager this is what comes up. "Digital Output Device [SPDIF] High Definition Audio Device. It is made by Microsoft. I spent 3 hrs on the Microsoft Tech Friday and could not find out how to activate or enable Line in. I am going around circles with this computer. Thanks for any assistance with this matter. Tom.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 08:58 PM #11
Double click your Volume Control ...
Can you get to .. and set these controls ???

EDIT .. Whoops, after reading again, I see you have Vista - Sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble copying music to harddrive from cassetts-clipboard.gif  
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 09:16 PM #12
I can switch over to Vista .. But it's getting late .. And I'll have to do that tomorrow.

First, a question .. Can you play your Cassette in your Dell ... From the Line in ???

Audacity's input control is in Edit >> Preferences ..
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble copying music to harddrive from cassetts-clipboard.gif  
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 09:24 PM #13
If you can play your Cassette in the Dell .. The Line In is working .. (I would assume)
The first task will be to get it setup so you can play the Cassette Audio from your Dell.

The Audacity 1.3.7 Beta version has different input selections .. But I don't think this will help here.
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble copying music to harddrive from cassetts-clipboard2.gif  
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 11:20 PM #14
I have to quit for the evening. Thank you. Scotch Fog.
Computer Specs

14-Apr-2009, 06:18 PM #15
I ordered a "Creative labs Soundblaster" card from Dell so I would be sure it would be the correct one. Do I have to go into the "Digital Output Device [SPDIF] High Definition Audio Device" and disable the driver for it? I shouldn't have to change any cables should I?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!