Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

lost wma files

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Apr-2009, 04:00 PM #1
lost wma files
Hello !

I just joined hoping someone could help me.
I have lost important .wma files downloaded from an olympus digital recorder through a series of nightmares that started like this..

1. I saw an ad for "privacykeeper 7" and downloaded it while searching for Spybot, actually..it sounded useful.

2. As I started running it, it kept freezing, so I thought, forget this, and went to close it.

3. My computer crashed/locked up, and would not reboot, giving me a message it could not read the boot file, I believe. My sister gave me a disc I ran, it got me into my laptop again and I did a system restore back to a checkpoint before the nightmare began.

4. I discovered everything was still in the pc, except my .wma files, which existed before the restore point I chose, were gone! They were in my documents.

5. I then bought "R-undelete" on the web, ran it, and it found all the .wma's except three. I restored the ones I found, but now mediaplayer will not play them, saying " Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." It played them fine before the crash. so why would a "codec" be an issue now?

I also downloaded the recovered .wma's to discs, but they won't play either, getting the same message. I was hoping someone could tell me if there is anything I could do to play these again, and also how to find my precious 3 lost wma's.. I have ried using the search on the start menu to no avail. Any help would be so appreciated- thank you!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Einstein
15-Apr-2009, 09:46 PM #2
Sounds like your SOL my friend. By doing the restore you you likely over wrote some of the files. If you restored the files back to the same HDD they were on you likley over wrote them even more. Just using your computer is likely to over write them. At this point it would be best to stop using the computer and take it a trusted local repair shop for recovery.
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2009, 10:27 PM #3
Oh man. Thanks for replying, that is very kind of you. I was afraid for the worst, and I guess that is the case. Thank you again, sir.

Loren
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2009, 10:33 PM #4
questions.afterthoughts
two things occurred to me to ask you...
First, is there any program that can recover the files from my Olympus WS-210s recorder that I had erased over time? That is a longshot idea

Second, is there nothing that can correct the wma's that I had recovered so that they can be played?

Any advice would be appreciated- thank you
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,770 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 02:06 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren_barber View Post
two things occurred to me to ask you...
First, is there any program that can recover the files from my Olympus WS-210s recorder that I had erased over time? That is a longshot idea

Second, is there nothing that can correct the wma's that I had recovered so that they can be played?

Any advice would be appreciated- thank you
1) If the recorder shows as a 'drive' in My Computer, perhaps you can use the undelete program, but if you have used it since then, then you may not be able retrieve it.

2) Most likely not if the file recovered was not recovered fully. Any fault in the file will give you that error.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,770 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 02:07 AM #6
out of interest can you play any WMA files, including the ones that come with Windows?
Todd33 Todd33 is offline Todd33 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

16-Apr-2009, 02:25 AM #7
Have you tried to un do the restore
Computer Specs

16-Apr-2009, 09:56 PM #8
Hi-thank you for replying. Yes, the mediaplayer will still play wma files I had on disk prior to the crash, just not the recovered ones

Thanks again, Couriant
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,248 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Apr-2009, 10:08 PM #9
Perhaps you'll need to find the proper codecs again. You could try downloading the K-Lite Codec Pack 4.7.5.
Computer Specs

16-Apr-2009, 10:18 PM #10
Hi Todd~
No, I haven't tried to undo the restore ( not a factory restore-it was one back to a checkpoint)
I may sound ignorant to minds such as yours collectively, but I didn't know this could be done....is there an option in the restore section to do this?

I should probably state at this point, that I am not totally helpless on a computer, but am not someone that knows all about operating systems and what everything does...the "paths" and what goes where how... but if I am directed to something, I can usually perform a process if instructed.

Thank you and Couriant for your time and kindness. People who take interest in other's dilemmas selflessly have always amazed me. (I have a pet giant tortoise and 5 years ago some people on the net saved his life by pausing to give me information. This reminds me so much of that caliber of humanity- thanks ) ~Loren
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
16-Apr-2009, 10:24 PM #11
I wouldn't suggest installing any codec "packs" since that may make the problem worse. It is not a codec problem, anyway. It is not uncommon for recovery programs to make errors about where files begin and where they end when trying to recover them. If they are not accurately mapped, they are all corrupt. If your program has the option, try recovery both using the MFT and ignoring it. If it gives alternative start addresses for the partition, try each of them until you get a file that will play.

If you really want those files back, consider buying GetDataBack. But try it first to see what it finds.

System Restore will not restore files or folders. It only restores Windows system in order to try to get the system running again.

Try some different recovery programs.

For recovering erased data from a camera or other electronic device, try PhotoRec. It can get them if they have not been overwritten.

Free recovery applications:

Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
Smart Data Recovery
Recover Files
Roadkil's Undelete
Recuva
Restoration
Free Undelete (NTFS only)
Softperfect File Recovery
ADRC Data Recovery Tools
Undelete Plus
Data Recovery
PCI File Recovery
DriveRescue
Ultimate Data Recovery
Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
File Scavenger
Recover My Files
RecoverPlus Pro
Zero Assumption Recovery
Active@ File Recovery
Final Recovery
Recover4All Professional
Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
NTFS Recovery

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!