Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best Replacement For Windows Media Player?

(!)

Member with 158 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jul-2009, 11:21 PM #1
Question Best Replacement For Windows Media Player?
G'day everyone,

I'm just about to install Microsoft Windows Vista Business N on my new laptop, and, of course, it doesn't include Microsoft Windows Media Player and all the other bloated material that comes with Microsoft Windows Vista.

What I'm wondering, though, is whether there is a consensus on the best audio/video player around? I need a suitable replacement for Windows Media Player (of which I'm not a fan), so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm not looking for anything too clever - just something not too bloated that can play the majority of video and audio file-types - nothing more.
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

28-Jul-2009, 11:57 PM #2
I think JetAudio is one of the best. It's not small. It can certainly do and play most anything, even stream to the internet if you want to play music for others. And there are a load of skins.

But there are so many good ones out there that it is hard to say. WMP is really good, in my opinion, but I use others often, too.

If you want something simple that will play most anything, get the Media Player Classic from Sourceforge. It is an altered, rebuilt clone of the old Windows 6.4 player from Win98, but it has a completely new core. Nothing fancy, but works fine. It will play Real and Quicktime files, too, so you don't need those installed (with added Real and Quicktime Alternative installations for the codecs). And, of course, there is VLC for video and music. But I don't like it much and I get blank screens on a lot of videos that JetAudio plays with no problem. But it is popular, nonetheless.
Member with 158 posts.

29-Jul-2009, 12:46 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
I think JetAudio is one of the best. It's not small. It can certainly do and play most anything, even stream to the internet if you want to play music for others. And there are a load of skins.

But there are so many good ones out there that it is hard to say. WMP is really good, in my opinion, but I use others often, too.

If you want something simple that will play most anything, get the Media Player Classic from Sourceforge. It is an altered, rebuilt clone of the old Windows 6.4 player from Win98, but it has a completely new core. Nothing fancy, but works fine. It will play Real and Quicktime files, too, so you don't need those installed (with added Real and Quicktime Alternative installations for the codecs). And, of course, there is VLC for video and music. But I don't like it much and I get blank screens on a lot of videos that JetAudio plays with no problem. But it is popular, nonetheless.
Thanks mate, I'll download jetAudio and see how that goes for me.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,255 posts.

29-Jul-2009, 01:33 AM #4
VLC Player HANDS DOWN...
Member with 311 posts.

Experience: Einstein
29-Jul-2009, 02:26 AM #5
Media Player Classic.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

29-Jul-2009, 08:54 PM #6
Im more of the mainstream guy myself and go with either itunes or winamp
Junior Member with 28 posts.

30-Jul-2009, 07:02 AM #7
I'm with captaino on the ITunes. Eats up your resources but it syncs nicely with my ipod For video though I use VLC or Media Player Classic.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!