Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop Volume Decreases on its own

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Mar-2010, 03:46 PM #1
Laptop Volume Decreases on its own
I have a problem with the volume control of my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro A200, running Windows XP).

Recently, the volume has started to decrease by itself. A volume slide pops up for one or two seconds in the middle of the screen, and the volume decreases a little every time it happens (a couple of times per minute) until volume is down to mute.

It has happened twice in the last few months, but never before. The first time, it just went away after turning the laptop off for the night.

I was thinking it might be malware, but both times running Avast, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Spybot and Spyware Doctor came up with nothing.

I did get rid of the volume slide today by disabling TDispVol.exe (the only process I could see to do with volume), but still had a bit of decrease even without the popups, although much less.

If anybody has any advice on what's causing it and how to get rid of it, I'd be grateful.
Computer Specs
Member with 277 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Mar-2010, 09:08 AM #2
when it next pops up go to task manager, under the applications find the one that looks like it could be the slider. you can click switch to on the one to get to come to the front so that you can be sure. Once you are sure right click on it and select go to process. This will give you the name of the exe it is. Now go to start -> run and in the box type msconfig and under startup you should be able to remove said process. Unless its a virus that should stop it. So it might be worth updating your antivirus and running a scan first.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Mar-2010, 06:46 PM #3
Thank you. It took a while to test because the slider pops up at very irregular intervals for a few seconds only. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't show up on the task manager list of applications when it appears.

I strongly suspect it's connected to the TDispVol.exe process (because disabling that makes the slider disappear for the session), but unfortunately not the volume decrease phenomenon (although it slows it down).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
volume issues

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!