Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SD Cards: 'You must format the disk before use' message?

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-May-2010, 10:09 PM #1
SD Cards: 'You must format the disk before use' message?
I don't know what i did to my microSD card, but everytime i connect it to my comp ir always gives the message: "You must format the disk in drive X: before you can use it."

Doesn't formatting mean erasing all files from the sd card?

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to prevent this message from always popping up in order to access the drive, so that i can copy the files from the SD card to my computer so i won't lose them. I dont want to have to format it until i have back ups of the files on it.

Is there a way to do this? if there are softwares that can help, i need them to be free.

I'm using windows 7 and the microSD card im using is 8GB.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by alwaysadreamer; 29-May-2010 at 10:17 PM..
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,073 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-May-2010, 12:34 AM #2
Hi and welcome to TSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysadreamer View Post
the microSD card im using is 8GB.
Have you ever been able to successfully access files on the card using the current computer setup? If not, double check the specifications of the computer's card reader to see if it can read high capacity cards that are over 4 GB.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-May-2010, 02:43 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwozniak View Post
Have you ever been able to successfully access files on the card using the current computer setup? If not, double check the specifications of the computer's card reader to see if it can read high capacity cards that are over 4 GB.
Well, before the message starting popping up, i could easily access the files on this same computer. Nothing was wrong until just recently when i put the sd card (w/ all the files on it) into my phone. it worked fine on my phone.. like i could easier see the files on the sd card and stuff. then when i ejected it from my phone and went to connect the sd card into my computer, the message started coming up. now if i try putting it back into my phone to see what happens, i get a similar message on my phone, telling me to format the memory card!!

so what is there that i can do to SAVE the files before i format the sd card?
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,073 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-May-2010, 10:18 PM #4
You could try a data recovery program to see if it can still find and copy the files from the card. A free program called PC INSPECTOR™ smart recovery might work for you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
erasing files, format, memory, sd card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!