Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Direct Tv Dvr to computer

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jun-2010, 03:24 PM #1
Direct Tv Dvr to computer
Is there a way I can transfer all my movies from the dvr that I have with Direct Tv to my laptop?? I tried to goggle this.. but came up short...
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

15-Jun-2010, 06:39 PM #2
You'd have to call DirectTV to find out. The shows are almost certainly encrypted, so if DirectTV doesn't provide a method to transfer them, the only way would be to record them in real time through a video capture card.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,240 posts.

18-Jun-2010, 07:22 AM #3
i have dish & opted not to use their dvr, i purchased my own dvr & record what i want when i want & save dvd's or rewrite. don't think you can record off their dvr's.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

21-Jun-2010, 12:06 PM #4
My guess would be no. Every proprietary DVR that I have encountered prevented the user from doing this, at least not without some hacking of the device. My advice would be a Media Center PC.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jun-2010, 09:00 PM #5
Direct TV Now has a program in beta called Directv2PC that allows you to transfer recorded or dvr'ed programs to watch on your PC if you have a tv capture card you may be able to record them to your PC. They also have Media Share in Beta but that is for music and videos and photos to be streemed to your TV from your PC. Please excuse the spelling. Very tired tonight.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

30-Jun-2010, 09:12 PM #6
DirecTV2PC is a streaming service. It does not transfer recordings to a computer.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jul-2010, 10:43 AM #7
DirecTV2PC
I have talked to a Direct TV tech and you can watch programs on your pc that have been recorded on your DVR. It takes a software download and some router configuration but it does work. I don't have the right Video Card to do the job. It is a cheap ATI 4350.
Thank you Dave
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

07-Jul-2010, 10:46 AM #8
That will stream them, but not transfer them.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!