Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: PC to HDTV

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: No Exp with PC to TV
29-Jul-2010, 03:34 PM #1
Solved: PC to HDTV
I'm new to the PC to TV arena and need some connection suggestions:

PC: X58 chipset, 6GB RAM, i7-930 2.8GHz, Windows Ultimate 7 64-bit, EVGA nVidia GTX 480 (not SLI'd) with 2 DVI and 1 mini-HDMI outputs, PCIe TV tuner with dual tuners, ATSC/Clear QAM & NTSC-Analog capable, 75-Ohm inputs with MPEG2 and MPEG4 decoders built-in; Blu-ray player, DVD-burner, SATA-III TB-level HDs; no-monitors.

HDTV: built-in dual tuners, 720p or 1080i and multiple Component, Composite, S-Video and Sound inputs -- no HDMI, no RJ-45.

I want to connect my PC directly to this HDTV to play Blu-Rays (albeit not in 1080p), DVDs, upscaled DVDs, streamed internet content and over-the-air HDTV, SDTV, analog channels.

Suggestions on converters, cables, etc., esp. "mini-HDMI to Component" or "DVI to Component", plus other hardware and software for the best performance and least tech issues (if possible, solutions under $500 preferred)?

Thx in advance for the assistance!
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,205 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jul-2010, 05:04 PM #2
Hi NE-Homestead, and welcome to TSG.

I think I found a page of specs for the EVGA nVidia GTX 480:
http://www.evga.com/articles/00528/

If the DVI outputs are DVI-I as listed, the DVI ports include analog video. You may only need a fairly simple connection converter block like this one and some RCA video patch cables to connect to the TV:
http://www.amazon.com/DVI-I-To-Compo.../dp/B000BSHHY8

You do need to make sure that your TV supports R-G-B component video and it supports the video timing that is output by the video card. A TV with only Y-Cr-Cb or Y-Pr-Pb set of component inputs will give you some very strange colors if you try to use it with R-G-B signals.

EDIT: You will need separate cable for the audio.
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2010, 05:27 PM #3
PC to HDTV
Thanks for the quick response. I didn't think to address the R-G-B issue with respect to the HDTV. The make/model is Sony WEGA HDTV Trinitron KD34XBR2 with two Y, Pb, Pr connections. I should also mention it has an iLink (1394) but only at 200 mbps. I purchased it in 2002. Early in the HDTV realm.

I checked the TV manual and there is no mention that it can handle R-G-B signals. I presume that means it doesn't, unless Sony left that tidbit out of their documentation in 2002. Suggestions as to how would I approach the HDMI or DVI to Component converter or scaler issue in this case?

Thanks again for the assist!
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2010, 08:16 PM #4
I found an HDMI to YPrPb converter box being sold by Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Ypbpr-Com.../dp/B002SFT3ZI

I also found a Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable that could be used to connect the converter box to the computer:
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Min.../dp/B000TT80DG

You would need to do your own research as far as picture quality and product reliability are concerned.
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2010, 09:14 PM #5
Thanks for the info...very helpful! NEH
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2010, 09:36 PM #6
You're welcome.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
pc to hdtv

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!