Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't play WMV file any more

(!)

Junior Member with 28 posts.

14-Sep-2010, 06:25 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Can't play WMV file any more
I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook which has Windows Media Player 11 installed. I used to be able to click on a video attachment in an e-mail and have the video open and play.

Now, for some reason, no video will play. Sometimes the first picture shows up, and then nothing else happens. I can click on "Open" and get the first picture, but that's all that happens.

Any suggestions on how to get the media player to play?

Thanks!

Mary Sutton
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,317 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Sep-2010, 06:26 PM #2
What's your operating system?

For Vista:

Try this fix: WMVfix

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

Why don't you just Google it?
If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.

14-Sep-2010, 08:18 PM #3
Thanks for replying. The way I did it did not work. Here are the steps I took as my options weren't the same as those you listed. BTW, my machine is a 32 bit, not a 64.
I unzipped the file, User Account Center asked me to continue?, I did, Then Register Editor asked continue?, I did, then keys and values were added to the registry automatically. I went ahead and rebooted, tried a wmv file again. The first picture opened as a preview and then I clicked on it and it went to the whole page, but it was all black and stayed that way. I went to the list of programs first after clicking the wmv file and clicked on run as administrator.

I did not have a chance to merge, or to select open with. I checked C:\Windows\Reg and it has a date of 1/13/09, Editor Version 5.

I hope I did what you intended. If you see where I messed up, please correct me.

Thanks!
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2010, 08:43 PM #4
Are you having trouble only with the videos from e-mail attachments?

What about videos on the Web or your hard drive?

What if you save the video from an e-mail attachment, directly to your desktop, and open it from the desktop?

14-Sep-2010, 09:09 PM #5
I can view videos on YouTube. I saved a video attachment from the e-mail to the desktop, and I couldn't open it. The WMP screen came up without the video. I also got a messsage that WMP cannot play a portion of the file because if requires a CODEC that either could not be downloaded or that is not supported by the player.
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2010, 09:12 PM #6
Download and install the K-Lite Codec Pack.

Try the videos again.

14-Sep-2010, 10:01 PM #7
I downloaded the file and tried the videos again. Same negative results. At some point, I received 3 update downloads for Windows and they were taking a long time. I stopped after 1 was finished. I tried the videos again and still nothing.
The K-Lite codec Pack is filed under: c:\users\mary\desktop. Does that matter? Should it be in some other file?
Thanks. Unless you say otherwise, I'll finish downloading the Windows Updates tomorrow.
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2010, 10:05 PM #8
Quote:
The K-Lite codec Pack is filed under: c:\users\mary\desktop. Does that matter? Should it be in some other file?
You mean the installer (setup file)?

The program should create a folder in C:\Program Files, and a shortcut in the Start Menu.

Quote:
I downloaded the file and tried the videos again.
Did you install the software (open the file and click Run)?

14-Sep-2010, 10:32 PM #9
I clicked on the file name and got a file named "K-Lite.....Standard.exe. When I double clicked on the exe file, it was named "K-Lite_Codec_Pack_630_Standard" as an application under c:\users\mary\downloads with one folder named Default_WMV and a file named Default_WMV. These are called registration entries.

Should I just move them to Program Files?
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2010, 10:33 PM #10
No, when running the installation process, a folder will automatically be created in the Program Files folder. Do you see it in there now?

Last edited by Phantom010; 15-Sep-2010 at 01:43 PM..

14-Sep-2010, 10:46 PM #11
No, I don't. It's only under my user name under downloads. I guess I don't know how to get it to make a folder under Program.
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2010, 10:58 PM #12
First, you need to save the file to your hard drive.

Second, left-click on the file.

Third, click on Run.

Then, start the installation process by following the prompts.

Use default settings.

Once the program is completely installed, then you should have the proper codecs to run the videos.

14-Sep-2010, 11:38 PM #13
Well, I'm feeling so stupid. Tell me where I go wrong.
I clicked on the file name K-Lite Codec Pack that you had highlighted in your message.
When I clicked, it asked me if I wanted to save this file. downloaded into a folder on my desktop. I clicked on save and it downloaded as an .exe file.
I double clicked it and then clicked on Run. This was already in my user file on the desktop in "c:\users\mary\desktop\downloads\k-lite_codec_Pac. Then I get the circle idling and then nothing happens.
Using the Windows Explorer I find the file in my desktop user folder.
Click on Run as Administrator. then clicked on run.
Then Allow. Run and then nothing happens.

I did try physically moving the file the Programs, added a new folder and moved the K-Lite file into it. Still can't run the videos.

What on earth am I doing wrong?
Computer Specs

15-Sep-2010, 01:42 PM #14
Have you ever seen the attached window after clicking on Run?
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Can't play WMV file any more-k-lite.jpg  

15-Sep-2010, 02:55 PM #15
Yes, I reclicked on the link you first sent and I did get that screen. Now it is asking me if I want to select additional tasks. Some are already checked, some not.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
media player

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!