Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to find HDTV's with QAM/Clear-QAM tuners imbedded? Time-Warner

(!)

Member with 518 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jan-2011, 10:32 PM #1
Lightbulb How to find HDTV's with QAM/Clear-QAM tuners imbedded? Time-Warner
This issue is driving me over the cliff. One would think it easy.
Time Warner, on their website, is generous enough to explain what one needs to go get a tuner device to take the place of their own supplied set-top boxes. If you're a subscriber, the STB is free for the first one, and a monthly-forever charge for more than one.

So I have pretty well given up on finding a retail/normal/quality set-top tuner box that can simply tune-in any/all of what TW sends to my house. I just can't find any clear info on such a device. So I have moved on to the next-best idea: Find an HDTV with built-in tuner that will properly tune Time-Warner's feed. Easy, right??
If I'm reading TW's info correctly, local over-air channels that TW has in their mix will decode with NTSC type tuners, and the other cable-only channels with "QAM" or also known as "Clear-QAM" type devices. I don't know that either of these specs contemplates BOTH conventional resolution and High-Def.... If any of you have Time-Warner you know that you have the "normal" channels mostly in the 1-100 range, and the High-Def versions of the same above that.

So What HDTV do I need to buy that will decode all of Time-Warner's feed, without their supplied STB???

NOTE THIS - I am not addressing any premium services here, just basic DIGITAL cable service with its included HD channels which are basically the local channels, plus a few sports channels like ESPN HD and FOX Sports HD, and FOX News HD, and a smattering of other stuff. no movie channels, ppv, etc.

??

thanks for your help
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hdtv, qam, time-warner, tuner

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!