Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Multimedia Multimedia
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

buring cd's

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Feb-2011, 12:07 PM #1
buring cd's
Hi -

I have been trying to burn a cd from my windows multimedia and dropbox folders that have recording of some lectures.

I'm new to all of this tech stuff and not tech savy in the least bit. So I went and purchased dvd+r cd's and went through the steps to record onto the cd and when I went to play it in a regular cd player it's blank. Even though I went through the steps correctly, I think it still doesn't play.

Any advice for the tech limited mind?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
05-Feb-2011, 12:13 PM #2
What format are the files? You need to convert them to DVD format to play on a regular machine.

If you have no software to do that, try DVD Flick. Note that conversion may take a few hours, but you can still use the machine during that time.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,971 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Feb-2011, 01:05 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharth161 View Post
I went and purchased dvd+r cd's.
Which do you have DVD's or CD's?
Computer Specs
Member with 28 posts.

05-Feb-2011, 06:55 PM #4
They are actually just sound files not dvd's. As far as formatting when I went through process of transferring on the cd i used the suggessted format for sound files. Please if you have another suggesstion please let me know and I will certainly try.

I would have to formatt to a dvd fomatt even though these are not video's. they are sound files made from a dvr transferreed to dropbox for a class to be able to listen to. So I wanted to have hard copies to listen to in the car etc...
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

05-Feb-2011, 07:41 PM #5
If you want to play audio files in a regular CD player, you need to burn them to CDs as audio CDs. You can't burn them to DVDs, and you can't just copy them as data files.

Have you ever burned audio CDs before? If so, you do the same thing with these files. If not, what operating system do you have installed? What version of Windows Media Player? Or do you use iTunes?
Computer Specs
Member with 28 posts.

05-Feb-2011, 08:37 PM #6
Ok, I think I'm understanding this as that I purchased the incorrect type of disc? What type of disc should I purchase.

I've never made any cd's of any kind. I gave a gateway running windows 7 and I don't know what versions of windows media player i have? How would i find that out??
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Feb-2011, 11:01 PM #7
You need CD-Rs and a program that can burn audio CDs.
Many people like Cd BurnerXP, which is free and will also print labels.
http://cdburnerxp.se/
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Feb-2011, 01:20 AM #8
I agree with Hughtv. I had to use that on an XP machine we had several years ago...
Vicks
Computer Specs
Member with 1,897 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Feb-2011, 05:10 PM #9
If you are using the Windows 7 64-bit system you have listed in your specs, you already have everything you need to create the CDs (note, not DVDs). You will be using Windows Media Player (you have version 12).

Start WMP. If it opens in one small windows, select View, Library. On the top right, you will see three buttons: Play, Burn, and Sync. All you have to do is drag (either from a playlist, or from Windows Explorer) the files you want to burn to the space below the buttons. (Just follow the on-screen instructions). If you don't have a CD inserted, the program will tell you. It will also tell you if you have the wrong disk inserted (such as a DVD). When you are ready, hit the burn button.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
burning cds, dropbox, windows multimedia

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!