Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

All of a sudden my wireless has become super slow and all of the usual fixes (restart

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Young Padawan
19-Jun-2011, 11:01 AM #1
Exclamation All of a sudden my wireless has become super slow and all of the usual fixes (restart
Hi guys,

For the past year my wireless has been working great and I have being playing games/doing homework with no hassle. Yestetday my internet connection became very slow. After countless restarts, router/modem resets nothing has changed and I only get like 5kb of download speed.
  1. Since my internet connection was lost naturally I unplugged the wireless card and re-plugged it, didn't change anything. After that I restarted my computer, but nothing changed. AFTER THAT I unplugged my router, then reset my router to factory settings, which did not change anything.
  2. Since everything was backed up I thought I would reinstall Windows 7 to nuke any hidden problems. After 2 reinstalls of Windows 7, nothing has changed.
  3. Next I had Comcast reset my connection with them which did not help. Though it did help my brothers desktop.
  4. After some more time just fiddling around my connection went back to lightning speeds. Hooorrray?....no.....4 hours later my connection went dead.
At all times my computer will see my network but it either will not connect to it or it is really really slow now.
Computer info:
  • Apple Airport Extreme router
  • Hawking HWUN3 Wireless USB
  • ASUS P6T Motherboard
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jun-2011, 11:56 AM #2
Two things:
Boot up in safe mode with networking.
Any change ?
May we also see:
Wifi test exe. Hint from Johnwill

Download and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspecto from
www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
on the problem machine. Post a screen shot of the main screen(networks screen) here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button
to upload it here.

Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Have you checked the pc makers web site for current driver ?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,880 posts.

19-Jun-2011, 12:27 PM #3
With a test such as Speedtest.net what download speed do you get with wireless, with an ethernet connection to the router, and with the computer connected directly to the modem?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hawking, slow, usb, windows 7, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!