Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Xbox 360 high ping

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

20-Jun-2011, 06:56 PM #1
Angry Xbox 360 high ping
So i've had this problem several times now and i'm hoping to find a solution.

I have two xbox 360's and both of them have this problem: high ping. Its so bad that if i join any online game on any game (such as black ops) my connection is so bad that it actually crashes the entire game. I have run many tests on the network and it seems that my download and upload are wonderful (sometimes in excess of 10mb down and 5mb up) but my ping is often well over 400 while before these problems my ping never passed 90.

Heres the tricky part: its ONLY my xbox 360s that are effected by this problem. We have 4+ computers on the network, 3+ tivos, and a few other items, but none of them are showing any lag.

I never use wireless so i know its not a signal issue, and all of my connections from the xbox to the router are gigabit connections/wires.

We've contacted our ISP and they have done tests showing that the ping we are getting is higher than what we should receive from their signal but have no explanation of why or how.

Any ideas that could help? I'm going crazy not being able to play anything on my xbox online =(
Registered User with 175 posts.

20-Jun-2011, 07:17 PM #2
You say that you had the problem several times. How did you solve it those times? Could it be that you are simply at a great distance from the gaming server, or the server itself is slow to respond?

21-Jun-2011, 05:03 PM #3
In the past the problem has eventually spread to the other devices on the network. The lag normally hits the xbox's about 2 weeks before the tivos and about a week later the computers. As for distance i doubt that is it because i always set my search preference to local only so as to reduce any lag that might be caused even when my connection is fast.

To fix it in the past we would power down the router and the network for about 5-10 minutes then power it on and that would usually fix it for the night. For long term fixes we would usually have to call our ISP and complain and they would generally do something (we were never told what) to fix the problem.
Registered User with 175 posts.

21-Jun-2011, 07:15 PM #4
Since power cycling fixes it, try upgrading its firmware or find another router.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,770 posts.

21-Jun-2011, 08:24 PM #5
It could be the fact you have other devices that use the internet that would slow you down. Or your networking devices.

What modem do you have?
What router do you have?

23-Jun-2011, 04:41 AM #6
Given that this problem is not continuous it cant be the other devices, though in the past we have had problems with duplicate IPs being given.

As for the router/modem i will update tomorrow with the models and makes.

26-Jun-2011, 12:53 AM #7
looks like we have a linksys RTP300 router

26-Jun-2011, 02:21 AM #8
It also seems to have spread to our download. Just did a test and our upload is higher than our download.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
low ping, xbox 360

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!