Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Creating wifi via inernet stick for cellphones

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

07-Jul-2011, 07:40 PM #1
Creating wifi via inernet stick for cellphones
Hello,

I was wondering if I can create a wifi hotspt from a laptop with a mobile internet stick so that I can connect a smartphone to the wifi network. Said smartphone is without a sim card, so I need wifi to access the web, to use skype. The laptop has windows XP, not sure if XP has the ability to create a wifi hotspot, or if it's doable in the first place.

Is there a way to create a 24/7 wifi hotspot with an internet stick? Don't want to have the laptop running every time I want to use the phone.

Cheers!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

07-Jul-2011, 07:49 PM #2
There's certainly no way to do it without the laptop running. If you want to share the connection using the USB modem you have, you could get a hotspot like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-431-_-Product
Junior Member with 2 posts.

07-Jul-2011, 08:31 PM #3
So I plug the internet stick into the personal wifi hotspot and voila! I have wifi?

Okay, I have the option of getting WiMax, would that be a better, easier solution?
Junior Member with 5 posts.

08-Jul-2011, 12:03 PM #4
Quote:
Okay, I have the option of getting WiMax, would that be a better, easier solution?
Yes
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

08-Jul-2011, 04:10 PM #5
WiMax is a different technology and a different service. That would provide a modem and require another service contract. WiMax is only available in a few select metro areas, so if you can get WiMax, you should be able to get standard broadband service at a much cheaper rate.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!