Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

hp laptop won't conntect to wireless

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

14-Jul-2011, 03:51 PM #1
hp laptop won't conntect to wireless
HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop is not connecting to a wirleless LAN that others are connecting to. Connecting via Ethernet cable to the router works. The wirelsess LAN on the laptop is good under the device manager and the DHCP client has been restarted multiple times. All connection data and encryption key has been verified. Trying the repair function gives error that the IP cannot be renewed. I have tried manually entering IP, subnet and gateway and that will show connected to the LAN for a second before it is disconnected. Under IPCONFIG it says the wireless LAN media disconnected. I think my wireless hardware on the laptop is bad. Anyone have any ideas?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,517 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jul-2011, 05:03 PM #2
What's the product number(P/N) on the sticker so we can determine the exact model your HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop is.

-------------------------------------------------

I've worked on a couple of HP Pavilion dv model laptops where the built-in wireless adapter crapped out and the owners had to switch to an external USB wireless adapter.

You say though that the wireless adapter is appearing in the Device Manager and showing as working properly, so that's probably not your case.

Let's see if TerryNet or one of the other experts here jumps in to assist you.

Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,982 posts.

14-Jul-2011, 08:02 PM #3
Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from HP's web site, and use dynamic addressing.

Disable encryption and MAC Address filtering on the router and try to connect that way. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect. If unsuccessful please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

17-Jul-2011, 01:37 PM #4
Wireless Problem
Thank you for responding. I tried to find separate drivers on the HP web site but couldn't find them. I did reload drivers using the web option and the message said the driver was up to date. I'm not sure where that "dynamic addressing" is. I'm pretty sure that's on the router set up, which I cannot change because it isn't mine. Emailing isn't an option from the laptop at this time, however here is what is under IPCONFIG/all:

Windows IP configuration

Host Name .....: alex-fb7b1ac95f
Primary Dns Suffix .....:
Node Type .....: Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled .....: No
WINS Proxy Enabled .....: No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media state .....: Media Disconnected
Description .....: Intel<R> PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Physical Address .....: 00-15-00-25-25-79

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State .....: Media Disconnected
Description .....: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ehernet NIC #2
Physical Address .....: 00-C0-9F-E6-21-26
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,982 posts.

17-Jul-2011, 07:14 PM #5
I don't know what the "web option" is, but to get the Intel 2200BG working you usually have to get the latest driver from HP's web site. If you are using XP I also advise to get from the same place the Intel Proset utility and use that to manage the wireless.

I have yet to encounter an HP PC for which HP doesn't have the needed drivers. Unless, of course, it's a different Windows than the computer was designed for and the additional drivers were not developed.

The drivers for the HP Pavilion dv1000 are here.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

17-Jul-2011, 07:52 PM #6
gohuntwi:

Look at the product number(P/N) on the sticker so we can confirm if you have the dv1000 laptop or if it's a different model number within the dv1000 series.

It is running Windows XP, correct?

--------------------------------------------------------------

17-Jul-2011, 10:54 PM #7
Thank you for responding. I'll try to answer both responses. I downloaded the drivers from the HP web site and got an error stating my drivers were more current. I've installed the Intel proset utility but it is having trouble loading, probably because the computer needs a restart. The p/n is EC147UA#ABA and yes I'm running XP. I have not changed the operating system since purchased about 2006.
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2011, 09:03 AM #8
According to that product number(P/N), your laptop is a HP Pavilion dv1331se model.

Here is the support and software site for it - which you should add and save in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 pre-installed. Hopefully, you have since upgraded it to SP3.

I'll leave you with TerryNet from here on.

----------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
media disconnected, unable to renew ip

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!