Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Cat5 Splitter?

(!)

Member with 102 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jul-2011, 08:58 AM #1
Solved: Cat5 Splitter?
Hi there,

I have a router, and there are 4 Ethernet sockets on the router.

I would like to split one of the sockets to create a fifth Ethernet socket.
  1. Is this possible?
  2. Can someone direct me to were I could purchase one?

Do I also just need the one splitter at the router and it can handle the split from there?

With thanks,
DC.
Trusted Advisor with 19,633 posts.

15-Jul-2011, 09:03 AM #2
You are better off buying a switch to add a few more ports to your network.
Member with 102 posts.

15-Jul-2011, 09:10 AM #3
Hmmmm, a switch.... where could I get one? Amazon? Maplin?

Actually, how would the switch work? I've never had a need to use one!

15-Jul-2011, 09:25 AM #4
Your router is actually a router and switch built into one device. Just take a network cable and hook it up to one of the ports on your router. Sometimes you will see that the switch and maybe even your router has a specific port on them called an Uplink Port. Use that port to connect them together if they do have it.

I don't know where you guys across the pond buy your computer equipment. I use Newegg for the most part in the U.S.

15-Jul-2011, 09:27 AM #5
Member with 102 posts.

15-Jul-2011, 09:33 AM #6
OK thanks for that. I don't envisage any future need for any more than our one additional Ethernet port at the moment - is there a basic splitter I could get that would simply just provide the extra Ethernet port?
Senior Member with 505 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jul-2011, 09:42 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Cook View Post
OK thanks for that. I don't envisage any future need for any more than our one additional Ethernet port at the moment - is there a basic splitter I could get that would simply just provide the extra Ethernet port?
You can't do it. A splitter splits the wire not the ethernet connection. IE what you would do is have two RJ45 ports in the router that go into a splitter that connects to one cat 5 cable. The cat 5 cable then runs to wherever you want then it splits again using another "splitter" into 2 RJ45 sockets.

How it works
A cat 5 cable actaully has 8 wires inside it twisted together. Whne you put an RJ45 socket on the end all the 8 wires neatly slot into pins in a straight line. On a 100Mbps network though you only need to use four on those wires (Gigabit uses all 8). This why you can use a splitter. A splitter splits the cable into a pair of 4 wires each. four wires go into one RJ45 socket and the other four in the other socket. And the same happens at the other end. That is what a splitter does and how it works. So, no you can't use it for what you want. You need a switch as Squashman said.
Member with 102 posts.

15-Jul-2011, 10:12 AM #8
Thanks folks for your help!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

18-Jul-2011, 01:23 PM #9
Ethernet splitter problems
Hello, i recently bought a RJ-45 Ethernet spillter for a my modem can connect both my ps3 and computer to the internet w/o a router since i cant afford one that reads a 64 bit OS. But for some reason only one port works and this is the second one i've bought that has the same problem. Is it because im not using the right cables or i cant connect two computers simultaneously. Please help!!!!
Senior Member with 505 posts.

18-Jul-2011, 02:04 PM #10
this is nothing to do with a splitter if i have read your post correcrtly. your ISP assign your mode ONE IP address. This modem is connected to a router then you connect other deivces to the router. Routers perform something called NAT that allows the ONE IP address to be shared with the other PC's. The modem doesn't do this so it will only assign the IP to one of the devices you have connected.

Also what do you mean when you say you can't afford one that reads 64 bit OS? Can't afford what exactly? Because all routers work with any OS, in fact they are OS independant, the only requirement is the device (phone, PC, BLue player) is using TCP/IP.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!