Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't load craigslist.org

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

15-Jul-2011, 04:18 PM #1
Can't load craigslist.org
When I try to go to www.craigslist.org. just a blank page appears. No words. I am running Windows XP. I run firefox ussually but tried IE to see if anything changed and it just said cannot connect to website. I have reset my router and modem multiple times. I have released and renewed my ip addresses. I have another laptop running off the same router and it loads craigslist fine. I have restarted my computer as well as run my antivirus software without finding anything. I have deleted all of my browsing data as well as 'disk cleanup' I have Symantec Client Firewall and have found if I disable the firewall the website loads fine. But there is nowhere in the Symantec Firewall with a list of blocked sites or anything. I have also found that if I use a remote proxy server like hidemyass . com craigslist works fine with the firewall working. Not sure what else to think is wrong. I am thinking it is not my IP address since I have another computer off of the same router and it doesn't have a problem. I have also changed the numbers on how the IP addresses are assigned in the router.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,418 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jul-2011, 07:17 PM #2
Craigslist City Index

----------------------------------------------------------------

15-Jul-2011, 08:32 PM #3
I clicked on it and just got a blank page. Just like if I went to craigslist.org ?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2011, 07:49 AM #4
You may have a connection problem.

Click "Report" and then request to have your thread moved to the NETWORKING forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jul-2011, 10:54 AM #5
same problem
I have the exact same problem for about 5 days now! I had no problem getting on everyday and then suddenly blank page and I can't make it load no matter what. I have a verizon wifi hot spot and I have tried everything I can think of....everything you have done I have also tried. And I still have no luck at all! Anyone else have different ideas?
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2011, 12:58 PM #6
I have 3 desktops(2 with Windows 7 and 1 with Windows XP) sharing a Linksys BEFSR41 4-port wired router and using BrightHouse Networks Roadrunner cable service. None of them have any problem loading the Craig's List site.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2011, 01:05 PM #7
I, too, have been unable to connect to craigslist.com (or craigslist.org) since July 14, 2011. I receive the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I have not changed any settings or downloaded anything. I have not posted to craigslist (hence, I doubt that I've been 86'd) but have frequently used the website for years. I've tried some of the suggestions from other online postings but nothing has worked. Comcast is my server.

16-Jul-2011, 01:47 PM #8
OK....fixed my problem. Maybe it will work for you too. Did a system restore to a few weeks ago but that didn't seem to help. Finally....disabled my Norton Internet Security and all is good again! No idea why but its working!
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2011, 01:49 PM #9
Get rid of Norton Internet Security and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials 2.1.1116.0.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

16-Jul-2011, 09:51 PM #10
Yea I found the same thing that disabling Norton Symantec Client Firewall did that trick. But that doesn't make sense to me since the firewall shouldn't be blocking any particular site! I have not changed any settings either. I did not change to an old restore point but seeing that you did and it did nothing I wont bother. Must be something wrong with craigslist or comcast I could only assume! My ISP is also comcast. I will try downloading the microsoft program. Thanks.
Computer Specs

17-Jul-2011, 08:49 PM #11
This afternoon, July 17 - four days after I could no longer access Craigslist -- as suddenly as it disappeared, my access has 'magically' been restored. I have NO idea what is going on!! ... but I'll not look a gift horse in the mouth!

24-Jul-2011, 04:05 PM #12
Me too, I am magically up and running? Very Strange.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!