Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Keeps Cutting Out

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
30-Jul-2011, 05:04 PM #1
Internet Keeps Cutting Out
This is, uh, a guess a response to
http://forums.techguy.org/networking...ing-out-2.html
But it was last updated in 2007 and says it has since been expired. And I am experiencing the same problem so I thought I would ask on how to fix it here.

Anyways, I will get to the point. (I'm not very good with computers so try and work with me here.)
About a month or two ago I started experiencing network problems with my main computer in my house. It is connected to the internet through a wired connection via the router. It would randomly start cutting in and out for no reason that I could see and it happened around every 5 - 10 minutes. I also have 2 laptops, 2 xbox 360's, and 2 itouch's all connected to the internet wirelessly and they never got the same problem as the computer connected right to the internet. But about a week after that all of the previously listed wireless connections started cutting out every 5 - 10 minutes. For the past about 3 weeks I have been constantly resetting my router and modem in hopes it would fix, but it doesn't. I've placed them both in a different area hoping that would help, still nothing. So I just decided that maybe it'd stop after a while, so everytime it cut out I would connect to my neighbors wireless for about 3 minutes, continue what I was doing, reconnect to my home network, and go on that for 5 minutes, and repeat throughout the day.
But uh, this morning it seemed to be getting a bit hectic. It started cutting out every 30 seconds or so, so I decided to really look into it. I came across the thread above and looked into finding a download for a updated firmware for my router. I went on the site and found what I believe my router is and couldn't find a single download for any updates or firmware. What I did find though was a FAQ concerning people losing connection, and it suggested that I try resetting it with the reset button on the back, returning it to it's original factory settings... So I did that and it asked me to set up my wireless network, etc. So I put in the Network name, passphrase, and made it a secure network. And it connected and was on for about a minute.
A minute later it disconnected me again but this time my router actually seemed to display that there was a problem with the connection, being one of the LED's was red. So I tried connecting still and it didn't work. So uh, I unplugged the router from the power and waited about a minute or two and plugged it back in. And, the router was working again, and I thought for good! For a good 10 - 15 minutes even. But after that it eventually cut out again, and has been cutting out about every 10 minutes since... And it's been about an hour. What's more is when I do reconnect I always check my Wireless Network Connections and it says what I am connected to is, well, the router I have, which is "dlink". Which is concerning me because when I restored it to it's factory settings and set up the network I changed the Network name, passphrase, and changed it to secure. But now it's saying it's just "dlink" with no password and on an unsecured netowork. So essentially, I am back where I started except with a unsecure network and a router back to it's factory settings, stuck it seems, as well as still being cut in and out of the internet...

Please, I would really love for this to be fixed and if there's anything anyone can add to help me please do. I'll try to understand the most of it but I'm not the smartest with these sort of things so please bear with me.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,006 posts.

30-Jul-2011, 05:40 PM #2
You're doing fine. Leave the router unplugged for a couple hours. Then again reset it to factory default settings.

While it's unplugged shop for a new router. If you want to do that online connect directly to the modem with a computer. Remember to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem when switching the device connected to it.

To be clear, I think that the router is gasping its last minutes of life. Doing the above may inspire it to work a little longer, but you may as well shop now. Or at least think about it. Actually, a year and a half ago I was convinced that my daughter's router was completely dead, but after the above routine it is still working almost flawlessly.

30-Jul-2011, 05:50 PM #3
Oh okay, good to know. Thank you so much. I'll reply after I do this if there's anymore problems. (:

30-Jul-2011, 11:05 PM #4
Okay so uh, my router has been unplugged ever since my last post. I just replugged it back in now and for the past about 15 minutesish I haven't had any disconnections but still after restoring the router to factory settings it's not allowing me to change the Network name, passphrase, or security type. It still only comes up as "dlink" in my Wireless Network Connections. Any idea on how I can set it all back up again? ;s
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,006 posts.

31-Jul-2011, 10:45 AM #5
See post # 2.

31-Jul-2011, 01:26 PM #6
See post # 4.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cutting out, internet

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!