Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Network <=> network VPN using Netgear FVS318

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Aug-2011, 09:47 AM #1
Network <=> network VPN using Netgear FVS318
First a situation description:
I have internet connections in two homes. On one side this is a direct public IP address coming out of the ISP's router and on the other end it's a NATted private network emerging from the ADSL provider's router.
On both ends there is a NetGear FVS318v3 VPN router connected and configured as a firewall/router/DHCP server/Internet Gateway for the internal (local) network. This works fine.
After a few hours of mangling with these Netgears - and forwarding IP ports 500 and 4500 from the ADSL router to the netgear - i hav managed to get a VPN connection between these two routers.
At least that is what i think: From my Linux PC on one of the networks I can see (and control) both the Netgears and connected to the remote netgear i can ping computers on the remote network.
Looking at the ISP connection I see lots of ESP packets going up and down the line.
Of course local machines (servers, printers etc) can still be used, as well as the the internet connection.
The other side shows exactly the same picture: Local network works as expected, the remote Netgear can be contacted and from that i can ping computers on the remote network.

Now the problem:
I always assumed a network to network VPN should act like some sophisticated router connecting two networks. So that devices on the one network could securely connect devices on the other network.
For some reason this doesn't work. Devices on one network can ot connect to devices on the other network, except for the remote router.

I have tried several 'possible' solutions, like:
Add a route on the local Netgear for the remote network with the remote Netgear as gateway. (On both sides of course).
Add a route on the linux PC for the remote network with the remote Netgear as gateway.
But could not get it to work (yet).

What am i missing ? Or is my assumption wrong ?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
netgear, network to network vpn, routing

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!