Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do you power off a router on given time?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 201 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2011, 06:12 PM #1
Lightbulb How do you power off a router on given time?
Hey all!

I'm just wondering here, is it by any chance possible to power off a home network router on a given time? You know, perhaps schedule the up- and down times, when it's on and when it's supposed to be off.

Well... what do you think? Isn't that just about the craziest idea you have ever heard of?... let me know, I can take it...
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Aug-2011, 06:42 PM #2
You could always plug it into a wall timer but routers that I
have seen don't have power management.
Usually though,in the configuration,you can set access
times for different IP addresses so it will only allow a
connection during the preset time.
Computer Specs
Member with 201 posts.

17-Aug-2011, 06:43 PM #3
Hmmm... on a second thought, this might indeed be just a little bit crazy. I mean, how am I supposed to turn it back on again if it's powered off?... it doesn't seem very clever, or does it?!

Hmmm... how about wake on LAN, wake on ring, or something along those lines?... you know, the router doesn't necessarily have to be in a complete power off state. I mean, like computers, the router could be in some "soft off" state like hibernation or whatever... just use enough power to be able to power it SELF on again, whatever triggers that...

What I'm trying to achieve with all this is...
1. Primarily to disable WAN access for all computers on the same network, at the same time.
2. Conserve power.

While I could perhaps make a rule in the FW which would block all inbound and outbound communications and then schedule it. But this would not conserve power, would it?! I would like to see the Internet access disabled at night, and then enabled again on the morning. But while the router is not in use anyway over the night, why would you want to leave it draining power for no reason?! Right?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

17-Aug-2011, 06:45 PM #4
Disabling Internet access doesn't conserve power. Disabling Internet access is completely different from putting computers in hibernation or standby mode.
Computer Specs
Member with 201 posts.

17-Aug-2011, 06:55 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroys1000 View Post
You could always plug it into a wall timer but routers that I
have seen don't have power management.
Usually though,in the configuration,you can set access
times for different IP addresses so it will only allow a
connection during the preset time.
Yeah! A timer for the power socket could be worth a thought. Good idea! Thanks!

I have a D-Link DIR-825. Do you have any experience with D-Link routers? How would you add a rule that would block all inbound and outbound communication for all computers on the router? Would you use Access Control feature for this? Do you have any clue? I have never done this before.

Quote:
The Access Control option allows you to control access in and out of your network. Use this feature as Access Controls to only grant access to approved sites, limit web access based on time or dates, and/or block internet access for applications like P2P utilities or games.
Quote:
That's what it says in the description. On the right hand side hint menu it says...

Check Enable Access Control if you want to enforce rules that limit Internet access from specific LAN computers.
So this seems to be targeting only specific computers and specific content type, right?... I also have the options Inbound Filter, Network Filter and Website Filter. Should I use any of these instead?
Computer Specs
Member with 201 posts.

17-Aug-2011, 07:00 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
Disabling Internet access doesn't conserve power. Disabling Internet access is completely different from putting computers in hibernation or standby mode.
That's absolutely true, I could never argue with that. But that's not what I meant or said.

I said I want to primarily disable Internet access, but if I disable Internet access then there is no point in having the router powered on is there?...

I think there is a certain difference in having the router on and having it turned off, don't you think? Even thou they do not consume very much power, not that I am aware of, but it's still better to leave it off over the night when not needed anyway. The tricky part is to remember to turn it back on again in the morning so your beloved ones don't scream after you and call you at work to remind you that you forgot to turn it back on, and let's just assume they don't know how to do it or what cable goes where ("they all look the same"). It's much more convenient if you can just set it up and forget it so that it would do this for you every night and every morning.

17-Aug-2011, 07:06 PM #7
If power conservation is the goal, then look into Belkin's offerings and connect your computer, modem, router, printer, etc. to one which you turn off every night.

http://www.belkin.com/conserve/

18-Aug-2011, 03:14 AM #8
For blocking regular internet access at certain times,
you would edit port 80 and port 443 in the virtual server
settings of the router configuration.
You can set times there.
Computer Specs
Member with 201 posts.

18-Aug-2011, 06:06 AM #9
Utilizing a smart power strip like the Belkin Conserve Switch is just not the same thing. And I'm not really a fan of the idea of forcing a device to power off. If I was to use this approach I would probably use a regular power strip and a timer for the router power socket.

I have read some more forums and websites and it seems that most users are facing the same problem. There are just no power management options in these home routers. I have also read about other, alternative, Linux based, router firmware options out there.

I have read the forums for DD-WRT and while it does allow you to set a timed reboot, you cannot have it stay in the power off state and then go back on again at a later time. I believe this is due to a limitation in the device itself, it doesn't know anything else than ON and OFF, no support for hibernation, ACPI or whatsoever. You would need to use an actual PC as a router to achieve this, and an appropriate router software.
Computer Specs
Member with 201 posts.

18-Aug-2011, 06:33 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroys1000 View Post
For blocking regular internet access at certain times,
you would edit port 80 and port 443 in the virtual server
settings of the router configuration.
You can set times there.
This doesn't seem to do anything. I have created following two rules.

Quote:
Rule 1

Name: Block1
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Public port: 80
Private port: 80
Protocol: Both
Schedule: Block1,2
Inbound filter: Deny all

Rule 2

Name: Block2
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Public port: 443
Private port: 443
Protocol: Both
Schedule: Block1,2
Inbound filter: Deny all
The "block1,2" schedule was set to be active all days in a week, between 11:40 AM to 11:45 AM. This time came and passed by without affecting Internet access. I have checked the time setting of the device, the time is set correctly. It doesn't even help to ignore the schedule. What am I doing wrong here?...

18-Aug-2011, 11:50 AM #11
The time on most routers is not configured by default.
You may need to set it to system time or pick a working
network time server.
Also,port 80 and 443 usually have preconfigured settings.
Rather than create new rules,click the edit button next to
the existing rules.
They may be overriding the new settings.
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

18-Aug-2011, 01:10 PM #12
How much power are you really saving by turning off the router! Your computers are consuming a multitude of more power than your router. This just sounds too Penny Wise and Dollar Foolish.

I have yet to buy a SOHO router that actually has a power switch. I think all of the ones I have now and have had in the past just have a power plug and that's it.
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

18-Aug-2011, 01:12 PM #13
Your filters say Inbound? Wouldn't you want to set an outbound filter?

18-Aug-2011, 05:05 PM #14
You want to save power by turning off the router, right? How exactly do you "turn it off" now? Is there a power switch on it that you use? Or do you pull the plug from the wall? How do you think that's different than powering off a power strip it's connected to.

Blocking ports and changing the configuration on your router isn't conserving power. It's just blocking Internet access. You're not making any sense.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
power off, router, schedule

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!