Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Changed router's IP, can't connect!

(!)

Member with 199 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Aug-2011, 07:04 AM #1
Question Solved: Changed router's IP, can't connect!
My modem(Netgear) and router(D-link) shared same IP adress(192.168.0.1) and after having some problems I decided to change it. I changed routers IP but now I am not able to connect to my wireless network and got this message: "Attempting to authenticate". (probably because of changed router's IP) Any ideas how to get new settings recognized ?
Member with 199 posts.

19-Aug-2011, 07:25 AM #2
When I confirmed security key I got the message:"Default getaway is not available"?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,762 posts.

19-Aug-2011, 10:26 AM #3
When you changed the D-Link's LAN IP address (I assume that's what you did) did the Dhcp server's address range change automatically, or did you make the corresponding change? If not, that's probable your problem.

On the computer are you using a static IP configuration? If so, did you make the corresponding change?
Member with 199 posts.

19-Aug-2011, 10:57 PM #4
Yes mate you are right,Dhcp was the problem. I was following instructions from this site:[http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/933517[/URL]
and as you can see they suggest that you disable Dhcp after changing IP address. When I enabled it again everything works just fine. It took me whole afternoon to figure that out but it was worth it!Especially after technicians from my ISP tried to convince me that the router is faulty and that I should buy a new one. Anyway, thanks TerryNet for quick reply(it probably took you no longer than 2 minutes to figure this out)!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,762 posts.

20-Aug-2011, 09:49 AM #5
You're welcome.

That post to which you linked is talking about using the secondary router as a switch and wireless access point only. I suspect that you did not follow all the instructions there, as you are apparently cascading (daisy-chaining) the routers.
Member with 199 posts.

20-Aug-2011, 09:12 PM #6
At the end I just changed router's IP adress and upgraded firmware. All is working fine(for now).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!