Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Static IP from ISP on Windows Server w/DHCP

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Aug-2011, 04:32 PM #1
Exclamation Static IP from ISP on Windows Server w/DHCP
Hi, I hope the title didn't confuse you...
I'm totally new to using Windows Server 2003 (or any windows server edition) but I do have a basic understand of networking.

Ok, so here's what's going on... I have a machine with Windows Server 2003 running an Exchange Server in a office with 5 workstations attached. The server is being used for a basic outlook calendar across the various workstations, nothing major. Our current ISP provides us with a Static IP address. The party that installed and configured the server set it up to run the DHCP server on the server PC itself. As in, the machine running windows server is also running a software DHCP server for the entire network.

THE SETUP: As of right now we have a wall port (internet access) with a cable running to a 8 port unmanaged netgear switch that has cables hooked up to the 5 workstations as well as the server itself. Pretty simple.

THE QUESTION: How do I configure the ISP static settings on the DHCP Server portion of the Server PC? We may be getting a new ISP with a dynamic address OR a new static address.

WHAT I'VE TRIED: I've tried configuring the IP address on the Server PC the way I would via the NIC adapter settings but it already has a internal IP address from the DHCP Server running on that PC so changing that was no good. I guess what I'm basically looking for is a screen like this (I hope you're familiar with the configuration pages of Linksys Routers)
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Cl...etupScreen.jpg

I hope this all made sense, please post back any questions if you're confused or need clarification and also, please take the time to correct my usage of terms in my explanation if at all possible!

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Moderator with 63,341 posts.

22-Aug-2011, 04:36 PM #2
I'm going to move this to networking, as you'll get a few more views.

But what I'm thinking reading this is that your static IP is for your far-side of the router; inside you set it up to assign DHCP addresses to your 5 workstations.

22-Aug-2011, 04:43 PM #3
I'm sorry for posting here but I appriciate the quick response and the relocation of my post.

Again, I'm sorry but my knowledge is limited and this includes my network terminology... I'm not sure what you mean by "far-side of the router" Isn't the Server PC acting as the router since it's running the DHCP server and assigning the internal IP addresses out to the various workstations?
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
22-Aug-2011, 05:58 PM #4
Is DHCP currently running on the server and assigning IP addresses to the workstations. You do not have to set the ISP's static IP addresses anywhere on the LAN at all. If you want the email server to send and recieve email outside of your LAN you will need to set up port forwarding on the router for SMTP (port 25), DNS (port 53) and forward traffic to your server.

22-Aug-2011, 06:20 PM #5
Thanks for the reply and pardon my ignorance but logic tells me that the Static IP address my ISP gave me has to be entered in somewhere... If i were going to run this setup with DHCP on a router then the Static IP given to me by my ISP would be entered in the page above. (see screenshot in my first post) I just need to know where that configuration page is for the software DHCP servr built into Windows Server 2003.

To answer your question, Yes, DHCP is currently running on the server and assigning the workstations internal IP addresses ranging from 192.168.2.100-192.168.2.200

22-Aug-2011, 06:22 PM #6
Oh, I forgot to mention I have no email needs at all... Thanks

22-Aug-2011, 06:30 PM #7
I'll defer to Rockn this one, but I think we should probably see an ipconfig from the server.......

22-Aug-2011, 06:43 PM #8
I'll get you a screenshot the next time I'm in the office. Nothing is actually wrong with the setup as we speak but when we get a new ISP (which is soon) I'm assuming I'll have to change the Static IP settings to the new Static IP settings somewhere on the server. I just need to know where that configuration page is... It must exist. Please advise.

22-Aug-2011, 06:46 PM #9
start > run > ncpa.cpl will take you there.
zx10guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 3,995 posts.

22-Aug-2011, 06:46 PM #10
The picture for the configuration page you've put is the correct spot to configure the static IP information you've received from your ISP. This is assuming you only receive one static IP from your ISP. You would then need to configure port forwarding per what Rockn mentioned. You may also have to set up POP3 depending on your setup but it's not as commonly used anymore. Also, for your email server, you want to assign a static private address to it and then make a reservation in the router's DHCP configuration to not use that address or just shrink the DHCP scope so it won't use the address assigned to your email server.

22-Aug-2011, 06:47 PM #11
And they will walk you through resetting your router to their specs as well......

Is everything currently fine with the network?

22-Aug-2011, 07:18 PM #12
Ok, I understand what you guys are saying but I don't think we are on the same page here.

FACTS:
1.) I DO NOT have any email needs or concerns.

2.) I DO NOT own or use a linksys router in this setup. The actual server is the router since it's running the DHCP server. I only used the linksys config page screenshot to illustrate the configuration page I'm looking for on the Windows Server.

3.) My ISP gave me ONE static IP address.

4.) The network is CURRENTLY running fine. I will however have to enter in a different static IP address when we change ISP's next week.

5.) I have ALREADY tried to change the settings at "start > run > ncpa.cpl" but my NIC has an IP address that has been assigned by the DHCP running on that same computer/server.

Does this make sense?
Thanks again for everyone's help! =)

22-Aug-2011, 07:56 PM #13
1. That makes it easier.

2. At some place in your network, there is a router/switch that will allow your server to push out IP addresses. The ISP assigns the far side address, you configure the router to push out DHCP OR static addresses. But somewhere there is a router or a switch.

3. All you need is one static IP; the router will assign the DHCP addresses on your internal network, most likely with 192.160.x.x addresses.

4. Cool. The new ISP will most likely walk you through most of this; however, you are still going to have to configure your router on the inside; they will most likely not have access to that.

5. Again, you need to track down the router.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall

22-Aug-2011, 08:00 PM #14
ok! so your saying that there has to be a router somewhere??? The server running the DHCP doesn't replace the "router" in this case??? Is it possible that there is just the switch on the floor connecting everything and that the router functionality is being handled by the server's software DHCP server? Thanks!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

22-Aug-2011, 08:13 PM #15
I'll take a swing at this.

How are all the other computers connected? To what device? A router perhaps? Or just a switch?

If the server is getting a connection from an ISP and providing DHCP services to multiple computers via a switch, then it must have 2 network cards.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!