Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to reset my computer IP address?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Sep-2011, 01:33 PM #1
How to reset my computer IP address?
Hi tech guys

I started my PC (aser) as usuao but did not connect to internet that i am using TP Link modem/router, I turned laptop on and get conected the wireless is working fine, serached about TP links solutions and applied all of them, before I was using "obtain IP automatically" then I used to insert the required IPs manually, applied and save and restarted several times... still cannot connect to the internet while I still connected to the same modem+router via laptop wireless connection,

Finally I decided to format and installed new OS XP, though some wrong error was with my OS, unfortunately even after installing new OS still not able to connect, I checked the IP and tried both options and still cant access, i never experienced such.. any idea plz?
I will appreciate if any solution,
Thanks
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Sep-2011, 01:40 PM #2
Getting a new IP
If you just need to reset your IP you can:

1. go to the run command
2. type cmd
3. At the prompt in the black box type ipconfig /renew
4. Wait while the computer gets you a new IP address

If that doesn't work then you may have a problem with your router or possibly your network card
Member with 1,688 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 01:41 PM #3
Try rebooting your modem/router.
Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 02:02 PM #4
Guys.. Thank you for quick reply,
as I said I am online from laptop via the same router (TP link) the wireless is working fine,
for the steps you provided to me I tried them before I formatted and after I formatted and installed the new XP, still not work and showing me the message:

C:\documents and settings\Admin> ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration
The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.
C:\documents and settings\Admin> _ (cursor blinking here)

even I tried (ipconfig/release) it shown me the same results..
Any idea for this issue?
once again, the router is working stable as I am connecting to it via laptop vireless connection, and the direct cable connection can't access this just today evening , and was all day online is working fine,
Member with 1,688 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 02:13 PM #5
Have you installed the wireless LAN driver on your new XP install?
Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 02:31 PM #6
yes, all drivers installed, i knew this is the basic start up when install a new OS, but still can't fugure out where is the wrong with it?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,255 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 07:53 PM #7
When you insert your own ip address, did you also insert the DNS ip addresses ? If not, you should phone your ISP and get those addresses.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,559 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 10:11 PM #8
Well your issue at this time is this:
The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

Since you just reinstalled an operating system you will need to make sure you have the correct drivers for your network adapters.
Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

02-Sep-2011, 01:25 AM #9
Guys.. I was seeing this message before I re-install the new XP, and after I installed the XP i installed all drivers too.. this is very basic concept,
the most wonderful is: this morning I could connect, just turned PC on and connected!! when i downloaed messager programs and updated some settings of languages. then disconnect again..!! so strange indeed, and i am connecting via wieless - laptop to the same router.
it's very confusing this issue indeed!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!