Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: problems access other computer HD

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 307 posts.

14-Sep-2011, 09:30 PM #1
Solved: problems access other computer HD
HI..
I have this issue. My client has in his office 8 computers.. 7 computers access his Hard Drive (500 gig 6 months old WD) for save work that eveybody is doing with a program they use (this company does Appraisal using software for that)
Later this week 1 computer starting getting problems and was change for new computer (well I build it with new parts, motherboard, HD 500gig, ddr3 memory 2gig, so on) all other computers using windows XP Pro. I check other computers and everybody access thoses files quick in seconds. Everyone has map drive to access this file in the main computer.
Well I install everything and windows XP Pro, surprise for me I went to map the drive to access and it took 3 minutes to open thoses files. What happen I don't know. My client complaint about this situation and I went back change cables change different port in the switch box and same thing I even plug cable to another socket where other computer access this files fast and no change at all. At this point I reinstall Windows XP and load drivers and everything same situation.
I back to the store where I purchase this motherboard and get me a new one.. so I want to ask If anybody has this problem before o Knows a solution please help is grateful appreciated. Sorry if I got wrong forum...

AACM
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,781 posts.

15-Sep-2011, 12:10 PM #2
The following may help. Make the edit on the new XP machine.

(from a JohnWill post)

Fix for slow network browsing, Stop Browsing Scheduled Tasks.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type regedit in the text box and click the OK button.

Once the Registry Editor has loaded, expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.
Next, expand Software and Microsoft, then Windows and expand that as well.

You will want to be editing the main system files, so expand CurrentVersion, then Explorer key.

Next, you will want to modify the remote computer settings, so expand the RemoteComputer key and then expand the NameSpace key to show all of the features that are enabled when you browse to a remote computer.

In the NameSpace folder you will find two entries. One is "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}" which tells Explorer to show printers shared on the remote machine. The other, "{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}," tells Explorer to show remote scheduled tasks. This is the one that you should delete. This will prevent the system from browsing the scheduled tasks on the remote computer which seems to take forever for some strange reason.
Computer Specs
Member with 307 posts.

15-Sep-2011, 03:44 PM #3
Thanks so much for your info... now one more question This will work with windows 7 ???
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2011, 10:00 AM #4
I have no idea whether the problem exists with Windows 7 nor if the same fix would work. You said you are using Windows XP.
Computer Specs
Member with 307 posts.

16-Sep-2011, 12:21 PM #5
Yes however I find out is windows 7 Pro was in the system. sorry I forgot about it..
Anyway I will try this I will let you know How goes....

Aacm

P.S.
Only one system has windows 7 the rest all has windows XP..

I am right now in the place...
Computer Specs
Member with 307 posts.

16-Sep-2011, 01:55 PM #6
TerryNet.. thanks for advice and sorry I forgot to tell you is windows 7 Pro.
No the solution you get me didn't apply for Windows 7.
I believe it come from software ... Why??
because they using a software call ACI report for windows and the remote computer has a file call "report" and in there has all different reports that this people created and save then there. Now I can see thoses reports fast I "open" and bingo you see all of then and you choose whatever you want to work with no problem..
Now If you want to create a new one you normaly go "File, new" and this takes time about 1 minute. Why I don't know, and other computers will do this task fast. You click File, new and you got your screen. Now the software is installed obivious in the workstation computer you are. So in conclusion I think is something in the settings of the software in self I believe is the problem, because at this point I don't know nothing else to do. What do you thing, give you all escenario I told and sorry for this long responde, but I need to do it in order for you to understand where I am.
Thanks for your cooperation in this matter I appreciated so much...

Aacm
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2011, 04:12 PM #7
Sorry, I have no clue what is causing the problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 307 posts.

17-Sep-2011, 10:29 AM #8
TerryNet.. Well thanks for everything.. yesterday I call the company who create the software "ACI" and we spend 1 hour and half try to figure it out what cause this problem. Is not the computer and possible the software. Well we never knew, finaly we redirect the open file to the desktop computer (workstation) and create the file and save it to the other computer hardDrive (server just to name it). So like this the person can work in his computer and save all the information to the other like this works perfect.... We resolve this issue ?????? Well I will say Yes in a way but TERRYNET even us we don't know the solution, the only we did was redirect here in there and try to put this people to work that's it... I guess is OK.. what you think??? OHOOOOOHHHH Thanks for everything you did I really appreciated your help ... What a wonderful Forum don't you think??? Thanks AACM
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2011, 12:11 PM #9
Sorry I couldn't really help, but glad you found a workaround. Thanks for the update.
Computer Specs
Member with 307 posts.

17-Sep-2011, 01:51 PM #10
No you really help me thanks.. Have a great successful day
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!