Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SBG6850 with WRT600N problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Sep-2011, 05:22 PM #1
Exclamation SBG6850 with WRT600N problem
Hey everybody! I'm new and I need some Networking help. I have recently aquired a Motorola SBG6850 so that the 50MBps that was being payed for, was actually arriving fully at my house...Anyways, It was set up, got outstanding results, but now I have a big issue. I don't want the Modem's wifi, only the 4 Ethernet LAN ports on the back. That's where the Router came into play, because one of my goals is too Have the modem give out the IPs via DHCP, but have the router there to be the wireless point of the house. The problem is, is that both the modem AND router need to be running 192.168.0.xxx, but I can't log into the router once I do it, but can with the modem(MODEM IP:192.168.0.1 / ROUTER IP:192.168.0.2). It wouldn't annoy me so much if it wasn't for the fact I can't control the MAC's connecting wirelessly via the modem, which I use to keep hackers off my network. I have followed all the steps on the DD-WRT website for the WRT600N and It fails too work. I believe the biggest flaw in all of this, is the fact that the modem is an all-in-one device.

My OVERALL goal: Run a Ethernet cord from my modem (DEN), too my router (LIVING ROOM), and set it up via LAN - WAN, have the router be the main wireless point, and be able to control the users on it all while having the IPs assigned through the modem.

Other Notes:
-WRT600N is running the latest firmware from DD-WRT for that model.
-I Do not want a wireless bridge, I want to run a cord through my downstairs.
-The SBG6850 is stock, I can change that if that is a needed thing.
-Internet is passing though the router, which is how I'm writing this, I just can't log on into it via: 192.168.0.2
-Router's DHCP is OFF. Modem's NAPT is enabled.
-The starting IP address for the modem to start handing out IPs is 192.168.0.11.

I can post more if that is needed, just let me know. Thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,950 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Sep-2011, 06:58 PM #2
MAC address filtering, just like WEP, is an ineffective form of security. A MAC address can be sniffed from authorized clients traffic by a 2 year old and then the MAC address can be spoofed. Don't bother, its a waste of time. Use WPA2 instead.

As for using the router for wireless, sounds like you have it right except that you want to connect to a LAN port and not use the WAN port. Also in this setup you can use the modem to do the MAC address filtering(but again simply a waste of time). EDIT: I see you say the modem doesn't support it - good call by the manufacturer to not have it.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

26-Sep-2011, 07:03 PM #3
You might try this.

Connecting two soho routers in a network

Tutorial from Johnwill from the Networking Forum

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

The router would be set as normal for wireless with encryption and the wireless on the modem would be turned off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,850 posts.

26-Sep-2011, 07:03 PM #4
You can change the LAN IP to whatever you like, for example 192.168.0.254 if that helps you. It's in the Basic section of Motorola's GUI.

Last edited by Couriant; 26-Sep-2011 at 07:37 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

26-Sep-2011, 07:27 PM #5
Thanks for the post guys!

@Triple6: I use both WPA2 Personal and MAC Address Filtering, So far I haven't seen any other IPs then the ones Statically set by me and family members, and the SBG6850 doesn't allow for Wireless control of MAC Adresses while the router is on it. As for plugging it into the LAN port instead....I don't understand? The modem only has LAN 1-2-3-4 ports, and the router has WAN 1, LAN 1-2-3-4, So LAN to LAN wouldn't work? I don't know I'm still learning networking.

@dlsayremn: Sounds like what I did earlier, I'll give it a shot though! No harm in trying.

@Couriant: If I do that the router will expect IPs to be 192.168.3.xxx, and since DHCP is off, It wouldn't work. It's important for the 3rd digit to remain the same so the Modem can read the devices.
Computer Specs

26-Sep-2011, 07:30 PM #6
Yup, connect any one of the modem's LAN ports to any one of the router's LAN ports. The instructions that reference JohnWill's instructions also say the same thing. In effective you are using the router as a switch or wireless access point in this setup so you don't use the WAN port.

WPA2 is what is protecting you, the MAC address filtering isn't hurting, but read here why its useless by itself or with other ineffective 'security' measures: http://www.google.ca/search?aq=f&gcx...is+ineffective
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

26-Sep-2011, 07:33 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6 View Post
Yup, connect any one of the modem's LAN ports to any one of the router's LAN ports. The instructions that reference JohnWill's instructions also say the same thing. In effective you are using the router as a switch or wireless access point in this setup so you don't use the WAN port.

WPA2 is what is protecting you, the MAC address filtering isn't hurting, but read here why its useless by itself or with other ineffective 'security' measures: http://www.google.ca/search?aq=f&gcx...is+ineffective
Sweet, I'll give it a try!
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,850 posts.

26-Sep-2011, 07:38 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBLaZeR View Post
Thanks for the post guys!

@Triple6: I use both WPA2 Personal and MAC Address Filtering, So far I haven't seen any other IPs then the ones Statically set by me and family members, and the SBG6850 doesn't allow for Wireless control of MAC Adresses while the router is on it. As for plugging it into the LAN port instead....I don't understand? The modem only has LAN 1-2-3-4 ports, and the router has WAN 1, LAN 1-2-3-4, So LAN to LAN wouldn't work? I don't know I'm still learning networking.

@dlsayremn: Sounds like what I did earlier, I'll give it a shot though! No harm in trying.

@Couriant: If I do that the router will expect IPs to be 192.168.3.xxx, and since DHCP is off, It wouldn't work. It's important for the 3rd digit to remain the same so the Modem can read the devices.
sorry i mistyped and edited after this post. I meant to say 192.168.0.254
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

26-Sep-2011, 07:44 PM #9
No problem, we are only human. I'll start redoing the router config process in a few.
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

26-Sep-2011, 09:57 PM #10
Hey guys, I want to thank you all for your input as I was able too do what I wanted to do, now I just have to find a long Ethernet cord and find where I want to drill holes at, that's a problem I can handle though. Wireless works fine, Modem sees all that devices that are online. Resetting the PC after manually changing the IP to a large number was a key aspect I didn't do before, I always thought I broke the router doing that. So thanks again guys!
Computer Specs

26-Sep-2011, 10:42 PM #11
NP, glad you've got it working
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bridge, linksys, motorola, router, wired

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!