Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New computer, download speed is slow.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Can Navigate computers
30-Sep-2011, 07:33 PM #1
New computer, download speed is slow.
Hello,

I've recently bought a new computer but for some reason I'm getting only about 10-60 KB/sec. When on my old computer(which is now broken) I would get around 1 - 3 MB/sec. I've tested it on my mom's computer and her download speed is fine. My ping is fine, such as when I play online video games and such I have no lag or problems. And I can upload things at my normal rate as well. But my download speed just won't keep up. things that use to take seconds now take several minutes or even hours.

I don't know what the problem is and I've tried a few different solutions that I've found, some even on this site, but none have worked. So please if anyone can help I would gladly appreciate it, and I will give more information that is needed.

Computer Specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8126 Mb
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6490M , 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 692609 MB, Free - 603485 MB; E: Total - 17370 MB, Free - 2631 MB; F: Total - 5103 MB, Free - 2178 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 167C, KBC Version 22.1A, PCCBQ00QE0Y1AA
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

Router: Linksys WRT150N

Sincerely,
Maxko999
Attached Thumbnails
New computer, download speed is slow.-internet-speed-test-1.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,047 posts.

01-Oct-2011, 05:46 AM #2
how are you connecting by wireless or cable ?
if wireless change to cable and see if you have the same problem

update the network drivers from the HP website - whats the exact model of the PC
Computer Specs

01-Oct-2011, 09:53 PM #3
Thank you so much for replying. And I apologize for my slow response.

Computer Model: HP ProBook 4730s

Yes I am using wireless, and I tried what you suggested (switching to cable), which caused my download speed (KB/sec) to literally multiply by about 15.

Yet this still doesn't fix the issue that my download speed is exceptionally slow on this computer when it is using wireless. So I tried installing a driver update to my network adapter. Which is an Atheros AR9285 802. 11b/g/n Wifi Adapter. But after installing the driver update to the more recent 9.2.0.427 version, my download speed has not been affected, wireless or cable.

I'm thinking of trying to update other network drivers on the HP site i found.

Last edited by Maxko999; 01-Oct-2011 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Checked my internet speed test, and it matched the old one. I was using a download from google as a reference. But I shoudn't
Computer Specs

02-Oct-2011, 04:05 AM #4
can we see a xirrus screen shot

try removing the security from the wireless on the router
and then also try different wireless channels - that can male a difference

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_d...d_redirect.php
Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

02-Oct-2011, 01:50 PM #5
Alright, so I tried a few different standard channels. Unfortunately once reaching channel 6 my wireless went kaput and I couldn't connect to the router through cable or wireless. So I don't think I want to mess with that again. But i did see some progress made on channel 4, with a slight increase on my download speed.

Disabling my wireless security had no affect on my download speed. And even increased my ping.

On the screenshot, my router/ adapter thing is 3923FG.
Attached Thumbnails
New computer, download speed is slow.-xirrus-inspector.jpg  
Computer Specs

02-Oct-2011, 01:53 PM #6
thats quite a busy wireless environment - try channel 1
Computer Specs

02-Oct-2011, 09:17 PM #7
Ha I know right? That's the suburbs for you.
So I decided to do trials, and make sure the download speeds weren't just isolated incidents.

When I first changed to channel 1 (from channel 6) I tested the download speed, upload speed, and ping 3 times in a row and took the averages:

/////////////////// Ping | Down Speed | Up Speed
/////////////////// ms/////////mbps/////////mpbs
Auto ///////////// 26 /// | /// .9 /// |/// 3.99
channel 1/////////31 /// | /// .58 /// |/// .75

I first changed to channel 1, which increased my download speed by about .3, later I tried auto (what I used before changing the channel at all) which was .9 which is close to normal. After about half an hour later I tested channel one again several times over. And now my upload speed is going up to 5 mpbs or down to .5 mpbs. Where as my download speed has been jumping around .3 to .9.

I'm still suspicious if the problem is permanent or something that will blow over in a week or two, since now I get decent download speeds once in awhile and slow download speeds most of the time. Basically, my download speed is just a roll of the dice now.

Oh, and I added an attachment showing all my ping/download/upload speed tests from speedtest.net if that helps at all.
Attached Thumbnails
New computer, download speed is slow.-capture.png  

Last edited by Maxko999; 02-Oct-2011 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: My little graph was messed up.

Experience: Advanced
03-Oct-2011, 02:08 AM #8
Try channel no.11..that shud do it..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,779 posts.

03-Oct-2011, 09:54 AM #9
Do you now have the latest wireless driver from HP's web site? If you haven't installed it since this problem started use Device Manager to uninstall it; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall it (this is in case the installed instance is corrupted).

If you have the latest wireless driver the most likely cause is wireless interference. When you were running the speed tests did you also check the Xirrus output to make sure you weren't getting potential interference from other networks? As you move around you may detect different networks and the strength of each network may change. Also, other people may be turning routers on or changing channels.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!