Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Router has virus?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Know quite a few things
05-Oct-2011, 05:37 PM #1
Exclamation Router has virus?
I was using my internet on my Acer Windows 7 operating system wireless just fine on Monday. I tried to use it on Tuesday and could not connect to the internet wireless any longer. I get an error message next to my network stating ""The settings [COLOR=green ! important][COLOR=green ! important]saved[/COLOR][/COLOR] on this computer do not match the requirements of the network"I have never encotured this kind of problem before. I proceeded to call Comcast who did all kinds of trivial beginner troubleshooting such as restart the router, restart the modem turn on and off the computer. Nothing seemed to work so I then called Net Gear who went through my computer with their "access system." He found out that my comptuer has "tons of viruses and error codes on it" and he wanted to charge me tons of money just to fix it. He pulled up one file in the errror and warning files that said "Wireless activity stopped successfully." He stated that this was the problem and if i paid him he would delete it. I wasen't about to throw tons of moeny down the drain so I hung up. My question is this; is there anyway I can fix the router or Comcast can fix it without reinfecting the new one? (If they decide to replace it.) I ran MalwareBytes and RKill but to no avail. MalwareBytes supposedly only found 12 viruses where as net gear supposedly found like 100. Please help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,941 posts.

05-Oct-2011, 05:41 PM #2
It's not very likely that the router has a virus, and if it does you may be able to fix it by simply updating the firmware and then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it.

If you want help with the infected computer ...

Read Everyone MUST read this BEFORE posting for help in this forum, post the requested information here, and then click on Report at the bottom of your post and request this thread be moved to the Virus & Other Malware Removal forum.

Bump your thread there once a day--no more often--until you get a reply. They're kinda busy over there.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Know quite a few things
05-Oct-2011, 05:48 PM #3
How would i update the firmware and reset the factory settings? Also could this potentially hurt anything in my computer or router im just sick of being blamed for something breaking.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,941 posts.

05-Oct-2011, 05:56 PM #4
RTM (Read The Manual). The router manual should be available on a CD that came with the router and on Netgear's web site.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
error message, netgear, router, virus

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!