Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop keeps disconnecting my internet.

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

15-Oct-2011, 08:38 PM #1
Exclamation Laptop keeps disconnecting my internet.
I have a HP Pavilion G56-105SA. Here is my problem whenever I connect my laptop to the internet via wifi, I get random disconnects, and they are completely random. It can be minutes or hours without a disconnect, it only happens when I am on wifi and only with this laptop. I thought it might be a modem problem (my modem is also my router), but got a new modem and still the same thing. I have reformatted my laptop back to factory settings because it worked fine for a long time, still the same thing. I have also updated my drivers and changed the channel to one no one else was on. Anyone know what could be causing this? I am completely stumped. Please help!
jonow has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Oct-2011, 08:46 PM #2
It sounds like this is a hardware issue. Does this happen on only one network that you are connected to or does it also happen on others?

Also what wireless card do you have?

15-Oct-2011, 09:02 PM #3
No it happens on all the networks around me, most of them are all AT&T routers except for the neighbor next door. It disconnects his and all my other neighbors in close enough range for me to connect to. I have a Realtec RTL8191SE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter. It worked great for about 7 months with no troubles, then after the format worked for a full day without any disconnects and it started again today.
jonow has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

15-Oct-2011, 09:06 PM #4
So since you get this issue on different networks that have different routers you know it is not a router (or modem) issue nor is it a network issue.

And just to make sure, did you do a complete reformat of the computer?

Can you check what version driver you have for the wireless card?
jonow has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

15-Oct-2011, 09:12 PM #5
Also, when does this occur? When you are using the internet? When you are using the computer but not the internet? After it resumes from sleep? After a long time of not using the computer?

Does a restart fix the issue temporarily?

15-Oct-2011, 10:15 PM #6
The driver I have is 2010.0.0119.2010. Windows tells me the drivers are up to date and I even looked for them on their website downloaded those and installed them. As for your other questions, yes it was a complete reformat. And it only happens when using the internet.
jonow has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

16-Oct-2011, 06:03 AM #7
Is the laptop plugged in when this occurs?

If not then there may be an issue with getting enough power to the card, and even if it is plugged in there still may be a power issue.

Also a did a bit of research and found another person with a similar issue and it turned out to be a faulty card so that could also be it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,781 posts.

16-Oct-2011, 09:55 AM #8
Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from HP's web site.

16-Oct-2011, 11:11 AM #9
Yes it is plugged in when this happens. But I don't understand how a faulty card can make my modem go red. But it worked fine on skype last night, but as soon as I started using any web browser it crashed my modem. I may have to find a new card.
jonow has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

16-Oct-2011, 02:03 PM #10
What does crashing your modem mean. Your internet goes down?

17-Oct-2011, 10:45 PM #11
Yes the internet goes down. The internet and dsl light go off and then the dsl light flashes red until it starts to reconnect. There is no problem on the other end of AT&T and it is not the modem causing it, seeing as how it happens on modem around me, and this one is brand new.
jonow has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

19-Oct-2011, 08:17 PM #12
Sorry I didn't respond faster I have been busy.

Well that is very strange I have dealt with issues like this before when the internet disconnects often but never when it is the modem. It is odd because the way you describe it makes it seem like your computer/wireless card is making the modem crash. Is there a specific thing you are doing on the internet when this happens? (Downloading, watching a video, anything with high bandwidth). Or are you torrenting possibly? All I can think of is you are maybe going over a bandwidth cap or something...

It is actually a little ironic ever since I saw this thread my wireless card has been dropping a signal too but i just need to figure that out.

21-Oct-2011, 08:53 PM #13
No there is nothing specific that makes it drop. It can happen at anytime from watching a youtube video to a simple google search. I don't torrent on the laptop or do any kind of P2P sharing on it. So again I have no clue. I am going to try and look for a new wireless card to see if that is the problem.
jonow has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 156 posts.

21-Oct-2011, 09:08 PM #14
Yea I am at a loss. It sounds like a network card issue since you said other computers don't have this issue. So replace the network card I guess but make sure you get it from somewhere you can return it to in case that is not the issue.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!