Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My neighbor stole my wireless network key to access my network!

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
23-Oct-2011, 07:54 PM #1
My neighbor stole my wireless network key to access my network!
My neighbor came over two days ago after complaining that she could not access the unsecured network in the neighborhood. I felt bad for her so I told her she could use my computer to access her school website. I noticed that she had written something on her hand...not paying attention I let it go. She immediately "had to go put the baby down for a nap" and about 30 seconds after she was gone, my Wii started going in and out of connection and my Dell pc started running really slow. So now I am convinced she stole my wireless network key off of the side of my 2wire gateway modem. My network "was" secure until she got the network key. The above is obviously not important. My question is how can I block her computer completely from my network without disabling my wireless access?? I have gained access to my system summary via gateway.2wire.net. I named all of my computer devices including my ipad ipod iphone android phone and pc...so her's is the only one I do not recognize. When viewing it does not give me the option to click on the unknown pc it only allows me to view the computer devices that have connected to my newtork..I have reset my modem and changed what I think is the router password but I want to make sure that her computer has zero access to my network. I am a complete novice..I do not know much about computers so please bare with me. Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Computer Specs
Member with 3,310 posts.

23-Oct-2011, 07:58 PM #2
Just log in to your router/modem and assign yourself a new wireless key.

Consult your manual for further instruction on how to do that with your particular model.

23-Oct-2011, 08:03 PM #3
When I reset my modem/router and reactivated it on my computer, it showed me the network key and asked for a new password...I am hoping this reset my access password to my network, but to be sure I want to block her pc from access....and I am having trouble doing that
Computer Specs
Member with 3,310 posts.

23-Oct-2011, 08:12 PM #4
There is absolutely no need for this. Just assign a new key and use WPA2 encryption.

Done.

23-Oct-2011, 08:26 PM #5
That worked perfectly!! I know it worked because it kicked me off the internet and asked for my password when I logged back on! Thank you so much for your help!! I cannot tell you how thankful I am. Now I don't have to worry about my daughter crying when she can't watch Dora on the wii because of the crappy internet connection!!!!!
Computer Specs
Member with 3,310 posts.

23-Oct-2011, 08:32 PM #6
Glad it worked. Just be careful about leaving your passwords laying around.

23-Oct-2011, 08:34 PM #7
It's in my head. No one knows it but me! Thanks so much!

23-Oct-2011, 08:42 PM #8
One more question. Is there any way to change my network name?? For example if my network name is 2wire 166 can I change it to something else?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,489 posts.

23-Oct-2011, 08:47 PM #9
Just change it. It's in the wireless section of the router's config pages and usually labeled "SSID."

23-Oct-2011, 10:34 PM #10
Wow that was so easy I feel stupid...lol thanks so very much!!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,489 posts.

24-Oct-2011, 09:29 AM #11
Please don't feel bad. We just LOVE easy questions! And sometimes we forget that they were hard before we learned the answer.

You can mark this solved using the button at the upper left of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
key, network, password

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!