Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Limited or no connectivity Issue

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

01-Nov-2011, 09:57 PM #1
Limited or no connectivity Issue
Hello:

First, below is the TSG SysInfo log:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: RADEON X300 Series, 1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 135948 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U7077
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

My issue is that I cannot connect to the internet from my desktop PC, but I am able to connect wirelessly with my laptop via the same router. At the risk of providing too much info, I'll include as much detail as I can remember:

This problem starts a couple of days ago when I went to upgrade iTunes (after successful installing more RAM on my machine that same day) and revived a message that the iTunes upgrade couldn't be completed because bonjour could not be found in the expected location. After searching online, I read that I needed to delete and reinstall bonjour. I tried deleting with Add/Remove programs, but wasn't able to. Then I downloaded Revo Uninstalled to remove bonjour. My first attempt wasn't successful, so I then selected "Advanced" mode of Revo and deleted all the bolded items suggested by Revo that might be bonjour related. This is when I realized I probably deleted too much.

After the "successful" bonjour uninstall my computer started running into connectivity issues. First, my desktop took a real long time to load and for a little bit the bottom toolbar would have a white background. I then tried unstalling Itunes, figuring I would just reinstall iTunes and bonjour would be installed as well. I had to run Revo again to uninstall iTunes because I kept getting a message that part of iTunes couldn't be found (I think it was iTunes.msi or something like that). After Revo completed, iTunes was off my machine.

I then downloaded iTunes 10.5 onto my laptop and moves the .exe install file to my desktop and reinstalled iTunes. When this completed, my computer started booting up more normal in terms of speed and the bottom menu bar went back to loading with a blue fill.

Everything looked good and I thought I was in the clear, except that the Local Area Connection 3 icon in my systems tray had an exclamation mark with the two computers. When I clicked it and then clicked "more info", I saw the Limited or no connectivity" message. When I click details, I see a Physical Address, and self-assigned IP Address (169.254...), and a Subnet Mas' 225.225.0.0, but no Default Gateway, DNS Server, or WINS Server. Also, when I click "Repair" I get "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address."

Since getting this message a couple of days ago, I've spent many hours searching online for remedies and have tried a number of them. Following are what I remembered:

1) Tried connecting my desktop to other ports on my router (failed) and connected my laptop to the router via a wire (passed) -- so, with my very limited knowledge I think the router is fine.

2) Tried the following from the CMD prompt: 'ipconfig /release', DNSFlush, netsh winsock reset netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt, and 'ipconfig /renew' -- all completed successfully but "/renew". When I tried to renew I received "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 3: WSAStartup cannot function at this time because the underlying system it uses to provide network services is currently unavailable."

3) Deleted network drivers 1394 Connection 2 and Local Area Connection 3 Broadcom NetExtreme 57xxGigabit Controller and rebooted. System reloaded both drivers automatically

4) Turned off Norton Internet Security

5) Spoke with Verizon (for an hour+) to check connection and they couldn't find the issue. They said the router looks like it was working and when they had me enter a static IP address they said they could "see" my computer (not sure what the mean specifically), but I still couldn't get to the internet

6) Checked properties on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and both Obtain an IP address and DNS server address automatically are both selected

7) Tried working with IE and Firefox (deleting cache along the way), no luck with either

8) Tried a systems restore going back to earlier in the day of the changes and a week before that but for all the options received a message that the restore failed because nothing had changed.

I think that's everything. Thanks in advance for any help.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 10,347 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Nov-2011, 10:47 PM #2
Click Start.

In the search bar type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click the + next to the pane Network Adapters so it expands, showing all installed hardware.

Take a screenshot of this window and attach the file in your next post.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

If you have no internet connection on the problem PC, transferring the screenshot via flashdrive or CD to a working computer is possible. If this is not practical for you, a detailed listing of the requested information will suffice, along with reports of any ! ? or X's next to the entries.

02-Nov-2011, 04:32 AM #3
Network Adapters
Thanks for the reply. Screen shot attached
Attached Thumbnails
Limited or no connectivity Issue-network-screenshot.jpg  
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2011, 09:39 AM #4
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

02-Nov-2011, 09:53 AM #5
I have tried both before with no success, although not sure if I did it in that order. I can try again when I'm home. Am I checking to see if that resolves it or checking for something specific aftewards?
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2011, 11:40 AM #6
You're checking to see if that resolves it.

And are you able to connect in Safe Mode With Networking?

02-Nov-2011, 07:46 PM #7
I just tried both TCP/IP stack repair options and both commands sussessfully completed, but I still had the Limited or No Connectivity message after I rebooted.

I then rebooted in Safe Mode with Networking and tried to access the internet via Firefox and IE and wasn't able to connect with either.
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2011, 09:49 PM #8
Do you have a physical network adapter or one integrated into the motherboard?

If it's not integrated, re-seat the adapter.

03-Nov-2011, 08:00 PM #9
The network adapter is the card that has the ethernet port where you connect the wire from the router, right? If so, it looks like it's integrated into the motherboard -- it's not a separate card that can be removed as far as I can see. In case it helps, the light next to the port is a blinking orange when the wire to the router is plugged in and the computer is on.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,249 posts.

03-Nov-2011, 08:17 PM #10
Sounding like you've isolated to a defective ethernet adapter. Sometimes the "only" issue is a failure to auto negotiate a speed with the modem, router or switch at the other end of the cable.

In Device Manager right click on the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab. For the 'Speed & Duplex' property try some different values, beginning with 100 Mbps full duplex and 10 Mbps full duplex.

03-Nov-2011, 08:55 PM #11
Thanks for the reply. I tried all four options - 100 Mbps full, 100 Mbps half, 10 Mbps full, and 10 Mbps half -- and with each the Limited or No Connectivity message appeared (I don't need to reboot with each change, right?).

So, if it is a defective Ethernet adapter, do you think it's just a coincidence that the connectivity was lost when I uninstalled bonjour or did uninstalling it trigger an issue with the adapter?
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2011, 09:32 AM #12
One other thing to try ...

Uninstall Norton and run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. Before doing so read the instructions on that link for saving your product ID. You can reinstall after testing.

I just read your initial post again about three times to try to convince myself that there are more software issues to look at, and succeeded. But, I don't know what those may be. Here's something ...

Make sure the following services are Started (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

If any of those are not Started, and refuse to start for you, we are on to something.

11-Nov-2011, 06:28 AM #13
I used the Norton Removal Tool and uninstalled Norton, but still no luck. i'm still getting the same Limited or No Connectivity message. I did get a Blue Screen the first time I restarted after removing Norton and restarted again after that and it boted up fine, but still no connectivity.

I then checked the services and they four are all listed as started. In case it matters, I did see that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator wasn't started, but not sure if that means anything.
Computer Specs

11-Nov-2011, 10:14 AM #14
Try running the Norton Removal Tool again (I have seen Symantec support staff recommend that in some cases). And then run the repairs (post # 4) again. Other than that I'm out of ideas.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bonjour, dns, itunes

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!