Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to disable Internet Connection for a specified computer

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Nov-2011, 04:49 PM #1
Question How to disable Internet Connection for a specified computer
I need to disable the Internet Connection to a specified computer, without removing any wires or plugs.
I have 3 computers which are connected to a SpeedTouch 5x6 (0843BH3B7) and a wire which then connects the router to the modem. Now, I want to disable the Internet connection for one of the computers from the software of the router, do any of you by any chance know how to do this? Thanks.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,272 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Nov-2011, 05:34 PM #2
Hi Stv96, and welcome to TSG.

Your information is a bit confusing.

I don't think there is a 5x6 model SpeedTouch product. There are 516, 536, 546 and 576 models and the model numbers also have a "v" version number to go with them. It would help us to help you if we knew these details.

I found some information on the 516, 536, 546 and 576 products and they are all DSL modem/router combination units with either 1 or 4 LAN ports. So, your "a wire which then connects the router to the modem" does not sound right. Do you have some other kind of router or LAN switch you did not previously mention between the computers and the SpeedTouch 516/536/546/576 unit?

04-Nov-2011, 07:15 AM #3
Hi cwwozniak,

Thanks for informing me and sorry for the confusing information.

I have the (Thomson) SpeedTouch 546 model. I have 3 computer which are connected to the router via CAT5E wires, then I have another wire which connects the router to do the modem but I don't have any other router or LAN switch.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

04-Nov-2011, 09:37 AM #4
Still not understanding your setup.

The Speedtouch 546 is a modem/router combination and you should not need another modem connected to it. There are four ethernet ports and a DSL (Telephone) socket.

You have 3 computers connected to 3 of the ethernet ports by Cat5E.

You have a fourth wire connecting to something else (modem?). What socket is this wire plugged into on the SpeedTouch?
What is the make/model of the device connected to the other end of the wire?

Not familiar with the SpeedTouch modem/routers, but here is aPDF of the User Manual
http://www.nayatel.pk/manuals/ST546_UserGuide.pdf
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,272 posts.

04-Nov-2011, 09:39 AM #5
I also found a PDF file of a user guide for the 5x6 series that includes the 546 modle. As far as I can tell that device does not support any kind of Internet access blocking for specific computers connected to the Wired LAN ports.

You would need to add hardware to your existing network to do such filtering. Many routers for residential or small office use include such a capability.

15-Nov-2011, 06:12 AM #6
I might have mistaken the router again.. On the router there is written Cnet 8-Port Switch.. So I have 3 computers connected to it and another wire connecting the router with modem.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,852 posts.

15-Nov-2011, 06:51 AM #7
Cnet 8-Port Switch is just a switch, not a router. No programmable fuctions to block traffic.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
disable, internet connection, modem, router

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!