Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connecting Android Tablet using Froyo to Laptop using Windows XP

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Nov-2011, 10:48 AM #1
Unhappy Connecting Android Tablet using Froyo to Laptop using Windows XP
Have just purchased a generic 7" Touch Screen Android Tablet runnning Android V. 2.2.

Tablet was supplied with USB cable (USB 2 to Micro USB)

Despite having WI-Fi, there are problems connecting to this as the WI-FI router does not automatically connect to the internet as there are 2 ISPs used.

Thought of connecting my laptop running Windows XP to the internet and then sharing this connection with the Tablet via the supplied cable.

Is this possible ? I would like to start using the tablet but all the installed software needs to be authenticated or signed in so currently it is not being used.

I have seen various threads etc. on WI-FI but this seems complicated and can be another topic.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,599 posts.

07-Nov-2011, 11:58 AM #2
what software is in use on the laptop - you maybe able to use ICS - not sure if that will work on the USB connection though

why not have the router connect upto one of the ISP you have and then wireless connect the tablet - after all - you will need to have the laptop connected to the internet to share - so not sure i see the problem
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2011, 01:03 PM #3
Thanks,

This is where I am a little lost - it was difficult enough setting up the Wireless Router/Modem (combination unit) 4 years ago!

However we have 3 ISP providers and currently we select the one Wireless Network and then click on the relevant Broadband provider and click Connect - the Username and Password for each is saved and it is a matter of clicking on Connect.

If you can show me easily how to do as you suggest then perfect.

Otherwise I have seen something about using a laptop that is already connected to the Internet as a mini Wi-Fi Hot Spot but again this has not worked for me but it is likely I am missing something. Laptop is an old HP Compaq 6400 running under Windows XP SP3.

I see under Control Panel it talks of Wireless WAN ?.

Other option, I have a desktop PC - old IBM also running XP with SP3 busy being installed that is connected to the Wireless Router/Modem via cable. I am looking at Hotspot shareware for this but I cannot see how it can broadcast its availability which would then be seen by the TABLET ?

Options, options and me, pretty experienced and competent on the software side but lost on the finer side of the Network/Routers arena.

Thks for the help,
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2011, 01:21 PM #4
Quote:
However we have 3 ISP providers and currently we select the one Wireless Network and then click on the relevant Broadband provider and click Connect - the Username and Password for each is saved and it is a matter of clicking on Connect.
I have not come across this before - why have /pay to have 3 ISP providers - so cant advise

what happens when you connect to the wireless ?
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2011, 01:34 PM #5
Quick answer - in South Africa Broadband is still expensive and uncapped is very limited in what and when you can use it effectively so have 1 ISP from University for my one daughter, 1 ISP supported by my company up to a monetary limit and the original ISP that provided the free WI-Fi Router and modem in exchange for a 24 month contract!

So what happens is there could be 3 computers, sometimes 4 hooked up but using different ISPs.

Maybe the Virtual router option on my laptop might be something to consider but then need big help - it is fine if this only works when the laptop is connected to the internet.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,263 posts.

07-Nov-2011, 04:06 PM #6
Quote:
... I have seen something about using a laptop that is already connected to the Internet as a mini Wi-Fi Hot Spot ...
I think that requires Windows 7 and a compatible wireless adapter.

Otherwise, you could use an ad-hoc wireless network, but some or all Android devices do not support it.
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2011, 11:41 AM #7
Simple Wi-Fi Networking for Android Tablet
Yesterday I posted about connecting an Android Tablet to Wi-Fi connection on a Laptop. I have marked that as solved BECAUSE :-

1.) I purchased a simple USB Wireless Network adaptor which I will connect to my Desktop PC.

2.) The desktop PC is connected to the Internet through an ethernet cable to a Wireless Router.

3.) Now I need to set up the network so the Android Tablet on Froyo will see the wireless network.

4.) The Desktop PC connects to the internet and must share this connection.

5.) By going through the USB Wireless Network connection it is hoped the Android Tablet can connect
to the internet.

<Font size changed by moderator - etaf>

Now, how do I do this ?

Thanks to you all for your input, much appreciated.

Last edited by etaf; 08-Nov-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2011, 11:56 AM #8
please do not start a new thread , i have merged your threads - also marked unsolved and edited the large font not necessary
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2011, 01:31 PM #9
Create an ad-hoc wireless network between the computer and tablet. As noted before, some or all Android devices do not support that.

Enable ICS on the computer.
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2011, 02:10 PM #10
Thanks Terry.

However on networking, I have a hit and very miss success ratio.

Can you please give me an idiot's guide.

So far the USB Wireless Adaptor is installed and flashes!

Now I need to set up the network, I presume, and then connect to the internet (this bit is ok) and then tell the wireless Adaptor that it is a server and to allow other devices to see this wireless option and to then connect to it and share the Internet connection that is already running.

Sorry, but if someone smart can, in simple words guide me I will avoid the inevitable hours and hours I will probably spend.

Again thanks for the patience.
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2011, 02:35 PM #11
Here is a reasonable Set Up Ad-Hoc Wireless Network in Windows XP. However, I would do Step 2 (create the ad-hoc network) first, and would not enable WEP until getting things working.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!