Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How do I hook up a router to a desktop modem for Kindle fire wi-fi ?

(!)

Member with 6,375 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Nov-2011, 11:13 PM #1
Solved: How do I hook up a router to a desktop modem for Kindle fire wi-fi ?
My mom wants to buy my dad a Kindle Fire for Christmas. Currently they have a desktop computer with a modem plugged into it and use Verizon dsl for their internet. The Kindle needs wi-fi and I don't want to disrupt the way their computer is set up now.

Do I simply plug the router into the modem to get the wi-fi signal?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,543 posts.

16-Nov-2011, 10:29 AM #2
Quote:
Do I simply plug the router into the modem to get the wi-fi signal?
I think that you are saying they have a DSL modem. If so, the answer depends on whether it is just a modem or if it is a modem/router combination unit. What is the brand and model?
Member with 6,375 posts.

16-Nov-2011, 11:49 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
I think that you are saying they have a DSL modem. If so, the answer depends on whether it is just a modem or if it is a modem/router combination unit. What is the brand and model?
They only have a modem. It is a Westell modem that came from Verizon.

I have a Linksys router I could give them that I don't use anymore if it would work for them in setting up the wi-fi. I just don't know how to get everything configured as simple as possible. I don't think they need their desktop to become wireless, they just need the wireless capability for the Kindle Fire.
Computer Specs

16-Nov-2011, 02:05 PM #4
With a modem only you need to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem when switching the device connected to it. Since it's DSL you will probably need to configure the router's WAN section for PPPoE and their account/password. And probably need to disable or remove software on their computer that is used to connect to the DSL.

I don't remember ever before coming across a Westell "modem" that wasn't a modem/router combo. Companies like Verizon find the modem/routers to be more convenient for them, as they send them already provisioned with the customer's account/password and don't have to deal with calls about how to set up the account. I'm still curious, what's the model, please?

16-Nov-2011, 08:01 PM #5
Quote:
I'm still curious, what's the model, please?
Westell, model #6100
Computer Specs

16-Nov-2011, 08:16 PM #6
There are three choices.

a. Just connect the wireless router as if the Westell 6100 modem/router were a simple modem. If the wireless router defaults to LAN subnet 192.168.1.x it needs to be changed to something else (e.g., 192.168.3.x).

b. Bridge the Westell to act as a modem only. Instructions here.

c. Continue to use the Westell modem/router as is, and use the new unit as just an ethernet switch and wireless access point ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router
Member with 6,375 posts.

16-Nov-2011, 08:26 PM #7
Quote:
c. Continue to use the Westell modem/router as is, and use the new unit as just an ethernet switch and wireless access point ...
First of all, thanks for all the great info! Secondly, if I try choice "c", by "new unit", do you mean my Linksys router?
Computer Specs

16-Nov-2011, 08:37 PM #8
Yes, I should have said wireless router instead of "new unit."
Member with 6,375 posts.

17-Nov-2011, 12:40 AM #9
Thanks again TerryNet......I'm sure I'll be able to set it up!
Computer Specs

17-Nov-2011, 10:42 AM #10
You're welcome. If there are any glitches just come back here or start a new thread and reference this one.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!