Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

High Ping - Is this Comcast or Cisco?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Dec-2011, 12:51 AM #1
Question High Ping - Is this Comcast or Cisco?
MY WIRELESS EQUIPMENT

BLACK ARRIS MODEM

BLACK Linksys E1000 by Cisco Router

I am hardwired from wall>modem>router>computer.

Over the last 6 months since I have moved in at my new address, I have had fluctuations ever few weeks where for 2-3 days in a row my ping spike and my download/upload plumets. I usually call comcast and they say to power cycle my equipment... I do that and it does nothing. Eventually I cry enough and they send me to an "upper" tech who says there is a file/setting on my modem throttling my bandwitdth. It works perfectly... until the next time. This is my life for the past 6 months. I'm pretty used to it.....

Enter now. I called comcast, they didn't send me to the special guy, they said their tech servers were down. I do my own little work. This time i try doing the wall>modem>computer.... i notice the results are that my computer is perfectly fine. Ping is 9-10ms from closest server, and download is 35. its all good... I go back through wall>modem>router>computer... its back to bad again... is this just a fluke? Is it the router? how do i fix/troubleshoot this more? Is it a combination of both?........ The most embarrassing thing is i work at a tech company designing wireless systems for large properties.... and i can't even fix my own home network XD
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
comcast, low, ping, slow, speed

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!