Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop won't recognize wireless connection after a power outage

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
08-Dec-2011, 03:52 PM #1
Laptop won't recognize wireless connection after a power outage
The power went out in the room where my desktop and router and modem and everything is located. The electrical outlet that all of those things were connected to suddenly stopped working so I had to relocate everything to the other electrical outlet in the room. Everything is working fine again, including the internet connection on my desktop, but now my laptop in the other room will not recognize my wireless connection. It gives me a list of available networks, but none of which are my own. Which makes no sense, as everything is working as normal on my desktop. I tried to "manually connect to a wireless network" by typing in the name and proper security type/encryption type and password, however it tells me a network called (my network name) already exists, and it says "use the existing network. Open the 'connect to a network' dialog so I can connect." or "choose a different name." When I choose the former option, the list of available networks pops up again but mine is not on there. And it should be, as I'm definitely in close range of my router. What has happened? Can someone please help me, I'm desperate. I've tried the basic turning everything off and on again, I've tried resetting my router, everything I know to do.

Here is the information about my laptop that I've gotten from the TSG SysInfo:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 6057 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1259 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 278527 MB, Free - 219586 MB; D: Total - 416421 MB, Free - 416318 MB;
Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., QX311/QX411/QX412/QX511
Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

08-Dec-2011, 04:27 PM #2
Quote:
Which makes no sense, as everything is working as normal on my desktop.
By that you mean that you do detect your wireless network with the desktop? If so, have you tried the laptop in the same room to see if it detects your network?
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2011, 04:43 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
By that you mean that you do detect your wireless network with the desktop? If so, have you tried the laptop in the same room to see if it detects your network?
Yes, my desktop detects my network but my desktop is not wireless, my desktop is hooked up directly to everything. I have tried the laptop in the same room and still my wireless network doesn't show up on the list of available networks in range, however when I disconnect my desktop from the router and connect the router to my laptop directly instead, the internet does work on my laptop. But I don't understand why it won't work wireless as it had before?
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2011, 05:01 PM #4
Quote:
But I don't understand why it won't work wireless as it had before?
Probably because the radio is turned off or defective. You did say something tripped a circuit breaker or fuse, didn't you? Reset the router to factory defaults. I assume it has a LED that indicates the status of the wireless. If so, does that indicate that the wireless is on? Is the wireless enabled (it usually is by default)? Can you detect it now?
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2011, 05:16 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Probably because the radio is turned off or defective. You did say something tripped a circuit breaker or fuse, didn't you? Reset the router to factory defaults. I assume it has a LED that indicates the status of the wireless. If so, does that indicate that the wireless is on? Is the wireless enabled (it usually is by default)? Can you detect it now?
Yes, indeed. I do believe I tried that though. There is a small button at the back of my router that I pressed with the tip of a pen and an online source said I should hold it for ~30 seconds. I did that, and the lights on it blinked several times but when it turned back on, nothing had changed? Nothing popped up to indicate that the router had been reset or anything.. what am I supposed to be looking for exactly (on the router itself and on my desktop, if anything)?

I use a Cisco DPC2325 wireless router. There are 10 lights on it, the 1st labeled power, 2nd is "DS", 3rd -- "US", and the 4th "online".. all of which are lit. The next 4 are labeled "ethernet" and the 1st is bright although blinking, and the next 3 are dim and blinking a bit. The last 2 are labeled "wireless" off to the side and the 1st says "LINK" and it's lit but the 2nd says "SETUP" which is dim and blinking. What does it all mean?
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2011, 05:23 PM #6
Quote:
What does it all mean?
RTM: Cisco Model DPC/EPC2325 Residential Gateway

I've never had a Cisco router, so I wouldn't know anything that's not in the documentation.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!