Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

LAN to LAN VPN help please!

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

22-Dec-2011, 11:27 PM #1
Exclamation LAN to LAN VPN help please!
I got a local VPN working (subnet to subnet, ex. 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2) but how would i connect an outside subnet of a seperate LAN?

All systems running Windows 7 64bit
Both routers NETGEAR N600, currently port forwarding PORT:1723 Server IP Address: 192.168.1.2

Its called LAN-TO-LAN VPN but i can't find anything useful online.

After attempting to connect client from external ip, ( entered public IP of client in Internet Address on setup) I got error code 800,
I then preceded to change to PPTP and now get error 807!!

I have been working on this forever now..
I need this asap, someone please help!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Jan-2012, 07:07 PM #2
VPN Error 807
I don't know if this will work for you or not, but I would be working fine on my VPN access and then my computer would lose connection to my internet connection or would get unplugged or something and the VPN wouldn't connect afterwards, no matter what I did.

After going through MANY forums searching for help with it, I later figured out that if I restarted my Linksys router when having this issue, and then launched my VPN, it would then work. I don't need to restart my modem, just my router, I guess it's IP related. It happens to me at least once a month or so and now, as soon as I get the VPN error message I pull the plug on my Linksys router and plug it back in and then try connecting and it's worked every time. Since my Linksys router works great, I rarely ever reboot it so it took me months to figure this out, and only by chance when I actually had to reboot it and tried the VPN and it worked!

Hopefully that's all you need to do for this, but sorry if it doesn't help.
Member with 299 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jan-2012, 02:56 AM #3
LantoLan (Site2Site) VPN needed to connect 2 different networks which are in distant. It's configurated in Both (better same models, same manufacturer)routers, VPN should be supported. Communication of 2 routers goes via external IP addreses. Then connection established, you got 1 common network.

Lan2Lan used then connected 2 office branches in different states for example. In my opinion (and from specifications) i don't see what Netgear N600 supports Lan2Lan VPN. Devices which supports it mostly wired, and named mostly "VPN firewall router, or VPN router" and MUST have external IP addreses on each side.
Just for example:
http://www.trendnet.com/langen/produ...-BRV214&cat=41
This device allows you to create Lan2Lan VPN.

IPsec/PPTP/L2TP– Up to 80* tunnels
PPTP/L2TP Server and Client – Define up to 5 user accounts each (multiple logins per account)
IPsec/L2TP/PPTP VPN pass through – Up to 100 sessions
GRE – Up to 8 tunnels
I don't see this in Netgear specification, in result this is not possible.
For medium-sized networks most often Juniper or Cisco devices is used, (SSG5, SSG20, ASA55xx)

If you want to connect to VPN server inside your network (Dial-In connection), forward TCP 1723 is not enough. PPTP also uses ip protocol 47 (GRE). Without allowing it, you won't be able to reach internal server. Main difference between Dial-in and Lan2Lan is what in Dial In you should make connection from your client PC, each on it and provide proper credentials or other authentication mechanism. Lan2Lan way - routers does this, you have both networks connected always, and all users in both networks can see each others without establishing VPN connections.

Last edited by xalerik; 25-Jan-2012 at 03:32 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet, netgear, networking, vpn, windows 7 64 bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!