Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet connection on one computer but not the other?

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Dec-2011, 12:38 AM #1
Internet connection on one computer but not the other?
I just got windows xp 64 for my computer and completely restarted/rebooted it. (started from scratch) It successfully downloaded but I have no internet connection. I have another computer plugged into my netgear box and it works perfectly fine. I checked and made sure everything was plugged in right and restarted my netgear thing but it did not help. There is no packets coming in or out of it connection but it recognizes that I at least have something plugged in. Any ideas what is wrong?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,563 posts.

27-Dec-2011, 01:32 PM #2
Quote:
I just got windows xp 64 for my computer ...
From where, please? Was the computer previously running a version of Windows? If so, which one, and did you run the Windows 7 Update Advisor?

Quote:
It successfully downloaded but I have no internet connection.
What did you download? And, how if you have no internet connection?

27-Dec-2011, 02:54 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
From where, please? Was the computer previously running a version of Windows? If so, which one, and did you run the Windows 7 Update Advisor?

What did you download? And, how if you have no internet connection?

The computer was running on a windows xp 64 before. My brother just killed the computer by downloading so many crappy files and games that the computer was running slow and had a virus on it that I could not remove. No I haven't downloaded that because I cant go on the Internet.

You put the windows xp 64 cd in and it downloads a whole new system after you delete the old one. I have no clue why I have no Internet connection. It's plugged in directly to the netgear router but won't receive connection.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,563 posts.

27-Dec-2011, 03:19 PM #4
Quote:
You put the windows xp 64 cd in and it downloads a whole new system after you delete the old one.
That would be piracy, but I've never heard of bothering with a CD to do so; therefore I am going to assume that you downloaded nothing, but actually installed XP from a valid installation CD.

The next step is to get from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site the chipset and networking drivers and install them (chipset first). That should give you internet access and you can then get any other drivers needed.

27-Dec-2011, 03:23 PM #5
TerryNet, many people use the term "download" to mean copying from a CD or DVD.

Very, very few computers came with Windows XP 64-bit preinstalled. I suggest you check that disk again.

27-Dec-2011, 04:13 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
TerryNet, many people use the term "download" to mean copying from a CD or DVD.

Very, very few computers came with Windows XP 64-bit preinstalled. I suggest you check that disk again.
I know very few computers come with it pre installed but it was working before when I had the 64-bit running on it. It had Internet and every thing was fine. But the Internet won't work now.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

27-Dec-2011, 04:18 PM #7
So did it come pre-installed or not? Is this a legal license? Did you download Windows XP 64-bit drivers for the hardware? 32-bit drivers probably won't work.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
internet connection, netgear, no packets, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!