Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: DNS not working

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

27-Dec-2011, 01:19 AM #1
Solved: DNS not working
DNS is not working. I can ping external IPs through. Have tried using alternate DNS like 8.8.8.8, or just 192.168.3.1 (router IP, which works for other computer) or 192.168.0.1 (modem IP, works for other comps) but it doesn't work for this computer.

The computer is running XP SP3. It did have some virii on it, but I removed them via offline boot-media. I am connecting via a Airlink 101 wireless usb. Again, I can get to remote IPs just fine, so it is connected to the router just fine, I can even google stuff if I put google.com in "hosts". It's just DNS that does not work.

nslookup wikipedia.org 8.8.8.8 works fine. My connections DNS is set to 8.8.8.8, but I cannot ping wikipedia.org because the name does not resolve. It only works for google.com because I added a hosts entry for it, but if I delete the hosts entry the name does not resolve.

Any ideas?
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Dec-2011, 11:33 AM #2
Did you try a DNS Flush
(From Microsoft's Website)

You can use the ipconfig /flushdns command to flush and reset the contents of the Domain Name System (DNS) client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well as any other dynamically added entries.
Resetting the cache does not eliminate entries that are preloaded from the local Hosts file. To eliminate those entries from the cache, remove them from this file.

At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

ipconfig /flushdns
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,369 posts.

27-Dec-2011, 02:02 PM #3
Make sure the following services are Started (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

DNS Client
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Junior Member with 2 posts.

27-Dec-2011, 07:19 PM #4
Thank you both very much for your input and assistance. I had tried to flush the dns cache, to no effect. It is not that the wrong IPs were being returned, but no IPs were being returned. I did not check the mentioned services, but I now assume they were working. Especially since nslookup worked just fine. I inquired on an IRC channel (I think #windows on freenode) and it was advised that I remove Comodo. I first tried just disabling the firewall in Comodo (the only component I had active) and that immediately resolved the issue. Thanks again to all who gave input and suggestions, it is appreciated. -Kaell
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,369 posts.

27-Dec-2011, 08:12 PM #5
Thank you for posting the solution.

You can mark this solved using the button at the upper left of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dns error, windows xp sp3

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!