Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Workgroup is not accessible!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Dec-2011, 02:58 PM #1
Solved: Workgroup is not accessible!
I will try to describe my network setup as best I can, sorry if any information is irrelevant...
My network contains:
-Netgear router 1
-Dell Dimension 9150 - Windows XP pro SP3 (this machine, connected to router 1 using a pair of netgear powerline adapters
-2 x Dell Inspiron laptops - Windows 7 Home 64bit (wireless)
-iMac - OSX Snow Leopard (wireless)
-Apple Time Capsule (network drive)
-Several misc items (phones, iPod/iPad, Vodaphone sure signal, PS3)
-Network printer
-Netgear router 2 (used as wireless access point the otherside of the house, connected using a pair of netgear powerline adapters) CURRENTLY DISABLED

None of the 4 computers can see each other, but they can all print and access the Time Capsule. Now I've made sure they're all on the same workgroup and that relevant services for sharing files are running. When I try to "View workgroup computers" on the XP machine I get the error attatched.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Many thanks
One confused Smurf...
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Workgroup is not accessible!-error.jpg  
Computer Specs

28-Dec-2011, 03:32 PM #2
I should mention that this setup worked fine until recently
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,982 posts.

28-Dec-2011, 06:38 PM #3
Firewall(s) is/are a likely cause.
Computer Specs

29-Dec-2011, 06:25 AM #4
I thought that but I tryed disabling my firewall but I still get the same error on the XP machine

Thanks for the input by the way
Computer Specs

29-Dec-2011, 04:10 PM #5
I've just found out that I can manually add shared folders from other computers on the network using the "Add a network place" tool.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Jan-2012, 10:00 AM #6
A working fix
I've been having the same issue. I have a mixed bag of a home network and found this on another post that has worked on every machine I've got. REGEDIT the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters. Look for DhcpNodeType. Some of my XP machines had this value, others didn't. If it's not there you can do Edit-New-DWORD Value to add it. Then make sure the data value is (1). I had a mix of (8) and (4) values on different machines. Once I made this change and rebooted (after giving the machine a few minutes for discovery) it's eyes opened and could see all the other machines in the workgroup. This was supposed to be an XP fix. OK, fine. It fixed all my XP machines. I also have some WIN7 machines and one was having the same issue. So I tried it there, and it worked there as well.

As usual - surfing will turn up many different solutions to this as it apparently a common problem. I've tried some, and just stopped here as this one worked. I also found this post, haven't tried it, but might be an option if you're not comfortable with REGEDIT:

http://www.craigharris.org/2011/02/0...work-resource/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
network access, workgroup

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!