Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless connection drop with my network set up?

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jan-2012, 07:43 PM #1
Wireless connection drop with my network set up?
I've recently just moved house and we got Virgin Media 50mgs broadband installed with their wireless super hub which is also a Netgear product.
However I first noticed up in my room I have weak signal on my wireless devices I have my Dell laptop, xbox 360 and desktop pc with wifi card.
I researched this and went out and bought a Netgear wireless extender:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WN20...6415166&sr=8-3

Now this does work it gives me excellent signal but it keeps dropping the connection which is extremely frustrating when playing the xbox or on an online game on the pc.
I contacted Netgear and all they suggested was updating the firmware which I have done and the problem still consists with no further helpful advice from them.

If anyone can give me any help on this matter it would be greatly appreciated (:
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,897 posts.

12-Jan-2012, 08:00 PM #2
Assuming the Dell laptop is running Windows please attach two screen shots of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

The first one should be from where you normally use the laptop, and tell us which network is from the Extender.

The second one should be from where the Extender is (unplug the Extender), and tell us which network is from the router.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jan-2012, 08:15 PM #3
The top two adapters are mine the top being the extender and the second being the main router, I usually use my laptop in this room I am in now and the extender is just outside the room on the landing (I live in an attic converted room).

The drop only lasts a minute and then the network is fine it mainly interferes while playing on the xbox as it will disconnect xbox live meaning I have to either restart the console or running a network test usually allows it to connect again but I would prefer the connection to actually remain stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless connection drop with my network set up?-network.png  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,897 posts.

13-Jan-2012, 09:47 AM #4
A lot of networks on channel 11 there. Try using channel 5,1 or 6,2. If that doesn't help try a single channel (bandiwidth 20 MHz) 1.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
gaming, netgear, network, wireless, xbox

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!