Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No wireless networks found?

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

18-Jan-2012, 02:37 PM #1
No wireless networks found?
My wireless used to work on my HP Pavilion dv8000 laptop with windows xp. Everything seems to be working but when I try to locate my wireless network in the same room none are found. I brought it to other locations with wifi and it has the same problem (no networks found).
This is done when I click on the small wireless icon on the lower right side of my screen.
Now here's what I find strange.
When I click on the Internet Explorer and "diagnose connection problems" the network diagnostics for windows xp comes up, I select wireless connection and every wireless connection in the area is displayed. I highlight my network (that has a full signal) and click "next" and I get the message:
This computer is set up to use 802.1x authentication and directs me to open up "network connections" and select the network i want to make any changes to but I'm back to the "NO networks found".
I bought a new laptop and had no problem attaching to my network all I have to do is select my network and enter my password. I also have an iphone and ipad and 2 "smart" tv's and I'm able to attach to the wireless network without any issues.
I bought a usb wireless adapter and installed it in my laptop and it detects the usb adapter but again won't detect any networks!
I brought the computer to the geek squad at a local Best Buy and they where baffled too.
They suggested re-loading windows and doing a FULL recovery. I did that and it's still not seeing any networks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,904 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jan-2012, 02:32 PM #2
deleted the wireless profiles and then reconnect

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for XP
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networki...ofile-t109.htm
- XP
http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=186
- delete the preferred networks
start> control panel> network connections> right click on the wireless connection> listed wireless networks tab in the preferred network list click on each one and - remove button

you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all

and post an xiirs screen shot

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/0047...etup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi...uide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

21-Jan-2012, 10:00 PM #3
Not able to do a print screen. I tried "alt+prt sc" and since the "prt sc" was blue on the keyboard I tried the "fn+prt sc" with no luck on either. Running the program my network has a signal of -49dBm- network mode 802.11n- default encryption AES-CCMP- default auth WPA2-PSK- vendor unknown- BSSID 58:6D:8F:73:34:E7- channel 1- frequency 2412- network type access point.
Mac address 00:14:A5:2F:A4:F7.
IP N/A, DNS N/A, Gateway N/A.
Running the connection test DNS reachable and Gateway reachable where N/A's
DNS lookup address=Google.com/ Summary=No IP address returned/ Result= FailNS lookup failure//
Internet reachable address=N/A/ Summary=N/A/ Result= Fail: No IP available.
If I need an IP what IP do I use? Like I said Everything else in the house was able to detect the network without any problem and all I needed was the password. This computer doesn't see any networks at all unless I run the IE "diagnose connection problems". Throught the diagnostic I select "wireless connection" THERE and only there it displays all the local networks (mine and my neighbors)when I select my network and click next I get the window saying "this computer is set up to use 802.1x authentication. Then going on to click on "network connections" and when that window opens up I click on wireless network connection and it does show my network-Acquiring network address with a great signal (because I'm in the same room) but when I go to "view wireless connections" it shows NO wireless networks were found in range.. Even though I had a full signal on the previous step.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,904 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jan-2012, 07:28 AM #4
have a read here
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
and disable the 802.1x authentication
also see here
http://h17007.www1.hp.com/docs/inter...A2-1531EEE.pdf

lets also see a status of all the services

Services

We would like to see some status information for each of the services listed below to do this goto

Start> {Run in XP} {Search box in Vista/W7}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:
SERVICES.MSC
OR
Control Panel>
Administrative Tools>
Services>

then for each of the servies listed below - Please post back the following status information -
If the service is Started/Stopped
and
If the service is Automatic/Manual
  • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
  • WLAN AutoConfig (Windows 7 & Vista wireless configurations only)
  • Workstation

If a service is not running,
right click on the service
then click on properties and now check the dependencies.

Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running.

Also to help us identify what may be causing the issue
Check the event log, there may be clues to what is failing. To do that
Start >
control panel >
administrative tools >
event Viewer>

22-Jan-2012, 10:02 PM #5
Com+Event System / Started-Manual
Computer Browser / Started-Auto
DHCP Client / Started-Auto
DNS Client / Started-Auto
Network Connection / Started-Manual
Network Location Awareness / Started-Manual
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) / Started-Auto
Server / Started-Auto
TCP/IP Netbios helper / Started-Auto
Wireless Zero Configuration / Started-Auto
Workstation / Started-Auto

I also tried changing the ones that where set to Manual to Auto and restarted the computer and that didn't make any difference.
Funny that program I downloaded still picks up all the local networks with strong signals but the wireless assistant says no networks found..
I even brought my laptop to my sisters house (she has wifi too) and the program picked up all the local wifi in the area too but the wireless assistant still said "no wireless networks found".
I'm thinking something has to be disabled somewhere in the computer.
I tried opening the event viewer and there where 4 folders in it that I couldn't figure out how to open. Keep getting a "unable to complete operation, interface is unknown" I even tried Notepad and opening any of the event logs just diplayed a bunch of random characters.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,018 posts.

23-Jan-2012, 12:28 PM #6
You indicate that you are trying to use an HP wireless utility but XP's WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration) is running. They will conflict, and one possible symptom is what you are seeing. To use HP's utility Stop WZC and set its Startup Type to 'Disabled.'

23-Jan-2012, 06:58 PM #7
I disabled WZC and now on the wireless connection window I get this message:
"Windows can not configure the wireless connection
If you have enabled another program to manage the wireless connection,
use that software.
If you want windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero
Configuration (WZC) service. For information about starting the WZC service, see
article 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web sight."
So I put that back in automatic.

23-Jan-2012, 07:06 PM #8
Basically I just want to configure my old laptop to work like it used to where if I goto a wifi location (any) All I need is the password and name of the network and it works. That's how it used to work.
The only thing I did before it stopped working was try to configure a new Cisco wireless router that I put in my house. I ended up using my desktop computer to do the configuration of the new modem but my laptop stopped working wirelessly ever since then. It won't work wirelessly anywhere there's a wifi signal. The eithernet connection still works though. I did a full recovery of the laptop to bring it back to stock condition too with no luck. I'm using my NEW laptop right now (in the same room as my old laptop and this one is working fine wirelessly.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,018 posts.

23-Jan-2012, 09:54 PM #9
Sorry, somehow I got an incorrect idea that you were using an HP utility.

You've disabled the 802.1x authentication?

If you can't get PrtScn to work try EasyCapture (but be careful to save the file as .jpg, not the default .BMP).

Also please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

24-Jan-2012, 05:57 PM #10
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mark-0292945083
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection :

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-2F-A4-F7

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-BC-27-A2
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
wireless network issue

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!